How can I display issues from multiple projects on a Jira board?

Vasco Guerreiro October 18, 2021
I will assist and manage a project that connects multiple other teams (that have their own projects and boards). This means that each squad will have specific tasks for its developers to do, on their Jira projects. However, I wanted to have one single project in Jira as well, but separately, with those same tasks, so we could have an overall progress view (plus, reports, roadmaps, timelines, etc).
So, my questions here:
  • Is there a way for a task to exist on different boards and projects? (I know this is possible in Asana and ClickUp, which I worked with in the past, where the status could be different or the same, respectively)
  • Regarding their status, can I have a different workflow and can one issue have a status on a project x and another status on project y?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2021

Hi Vasco - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The board filter determines which issues show on a board. So, yes, the same issue can show up on multiple boards depending on if the issue meets the criteria of the filter. 

You can have different workflows associated with a single issue type as long as the workflows are on separate projects. 

Vasco Guerreiro November 8, 2021

Hi, John.

So, summarizing:

• I have project DEX and I manage it using Scrum Board (so, with sprints)
  • Other PM colleague has project DVE and also uses Scrum (with sprints)

The way I want it to work:

Scenario 1:

• A Tech Lead from DVE talks with me and I create issue DEX-100. It stays in my backlog
  • Days later, I associate DEX-100 with next sprint
  • PM from DVE also needs to check DEX-100 on their sprint (DVE sprint)

Scenario 2:

• PM from DVE creates an issue, DVE-250
  • Days later, that PM associates DVE-250 to their next sprint
  • I need to check DVE-250 on my sprint as well

Assumptions:

- Sprints start on the same day and have the same duration

- We both manage our projects using Scrum Boards, with sprints

Is this possible that way?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2021

I am not sure what you mean by "check on". You should not put it in the other team's sprint if there is not work being done by both teams. 

You might create a second card - one on each project - and link them. 

Like Alliata, Dylan likes this

Suggest an answer