How can I create template "Stories" in Jira?

Zain Khushi May 13, 2021

Hi,

I code emails and manage each email project through Jira. It's getting tiresome to create a new Story for each email project and then create their sub-tasks. Most of then not, they're exactly the same.

Aside from cloning, does anyone know whether I can create a "template" Story that I can just select when creating a new Story and it already has all the sub-tasks/any other info that I populate?

Thanks!

:)

5 answers

0 votes
Aleksandra Bosacka _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 11, 2023

Hello @Zain Khushi 

It’s Aleksandra from Deviniti - the vendor of the Issue Templates for Jira app.

If you’re open to using a plugin, you could use our app to create different kinds of templates (e.g. for bug reports or feature requests) and then apply them when creating new issues in your projects in order to pre-populate field values.

Templates can also include sub-tasks or be combined into more complex structures via issue links.

For more details about supported use cases, I encourage you to see our official documentation available here. I'm sure you will find it useful!

Cheers,
Aleksandra

0 votes
Gena Welk July 10, 2023

Beware of using automations for this purpose (as others have suggested).

See Gerard Cattin's comment (thread linked below):

"The only issue with that approach is that the Description template overrides what the user types in the Jira creation screen because it is triggered after the creation screen closes, not prior to opening it."

See this thread:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-can-I-create-an-User-Story-template-in-Jira/qaq-p/1011870?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=unpaid-social&utm_campaign=P:online*O:community*I:social_share*

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

HI Zain,

What I do is to setup an Automation For Jira rule that creates all of the stories/issues/etc. when I create an Epic. So the rule runs when the Epic is created and creates several issues automatically, linking them back to the Epic. 

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

There is not a feature specifically like that in JIRA Cloud.

You might find apps in the Marketplace that provide the functionality you want.

One question to answer is are you open to other methods for triggering this issue creation?

You could use the Import feature to create new issues through importing the data already stored in a CSV format. 

You could explore the Automation feature to set up something that can be triggered manually to create the issues.

I'm not sure how the Templating apps from the Marketplace let you trigger the issue creation since I have not used any of them.

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2021

One option would be to use automation to create the sub-tasks when you create the new story. Another would be to use an app like Issue Templates for Jira.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events