How can I create an User Story template in Jira?

Sebastian_Grutz February 19, 2019

We have specific project in Jira. If we create an User Story we have a template how to write it. Is it possible to generate this template in Jira, so when we create a new user story in this project the template is already there?

10 answers

2 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Christine Stolz August 2, 2019

So I am working ways to improve the process with the team (using Agile in a Waterfall world, so I am adapting).  One of the things that I have thought of is to:

1. Create a generic user story with associated sub-tasks, etc. for a standard development.

• As a [role], I would like to do [task], in order to do [objective].
    • Subtasks - 
      • Analysis
      • Development
      • Code Review - [4 hour estimate in general]
      • Merge - [1 hour estimate in general]
      • Etc.

2. Every time there is a new user story needed, take a clone of the generic user story and work on it that way.

3. Take the cloned user story and customize it to the work at hand.

• As a Basketweaver, I would like to design my baskets with CAD, in order to mass produce.
    • Subtasks - 
      • Analysis - Basketweaver CAD specs [4 hours]
      • Development - Basketweaver CAD dev [10 hours]
      • Code Review - [2 hour]
      • Merge - [1 hour]
      • etc.

Not sure that is advisable. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Jon Mills December 11, 2019

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me if not using a plug-in. I'm looking at doing exactly this.  The subtask names will all come prefixed with CLONE (by default but can be disabled on a global instance basis)

Like # people like this
Jim Coryat August 4, 2020

We are doing the same thing.  Given the tool this seems to be the path of least resistance.

Like fredrik72209 likes this
6 votes
Answer accepted
Conrad Bruchmann June 7, 2022

Simply go to Project settings-> Automation

grafik.png

Here you can insert a template text into the description. Works fine for me.

Norah June 9, 2022

Thank you for reminding me about this!  Jira Automations are VERY powerful!

Like Jorge Villavicencio likes this
Gerard Cattin August 15, 2022

I have done that too. The only issue with that approach is that the Description template overrides what the user types in the Jira creation screen because it is triggered after the creation screen closes, not prior to opening it.

Anyone knowing how to get the template in place prior to users being able to type in that screen?

-Gérard Cattin

Like # people like this
Stu Breslin September 11, 2022

I was thinking of doing the same, but there is big problem with this approach.  When a Jira user creates a story for the first time, the description will be blank.  The user will add details, then click save.  Jira automation will replace what the user has entered with the automated text, meaning their work will be lost.

Like # people like this
Orry July 13, 2023

There is also an option of adding another IF check to validate the Description field is empty before applying the template... 

2023-07-13_11-59-57.png

Like # people like this
Thibault KASPI November 21, 2023

Here's how I've done it: in the automation, include the current description in the new one, using {{issue.description}} 

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 3.35.00 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-11-21 at 3.35.35 PM.png

5 votes
Muhammad Khan February 8, 2022

Yes though Project Settings > Issue Types > Story > Description (type in text you want as a template) > Save Changes.

Now create a new story to see if template text is included. 

sam2095 February 17, 2022

What version / type of Jira are you using?  I don't seem to have the option to edit the Description.  Thanks, Sam.

Jeremy Chambers March 9, 2022

ditto, i don't see this capability in Cloud Jira.

Muhammad Khan March 9, 2022

I am using Cloud JirA too.

description.PNG

laurilarjo March 30, 2022

I cracked this mystery!

You can indeed create description templates as Muhammad showed, BUT your project needs to be "team-managed project" (aka next-gen). By default the projects are "company-managed" (aka classic). You can google for how to do a migration, Atlassian has an article about it.

Like # people like this
3 votes
Nar Kumar C_ - Narva Software
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 13, 2022

Hi everyone,

We recently released an app: Issue Template for Jira - Summary & Description Templates

You can define a template per issue type including User Story and that template will be automatically prefilled when users open create issue window.

Team managed projects has a workaround, see Muhammad's answer. Our app works with both team and company managed projects. Also, have a look into Atlassian Marketplace here if you have slight different requirement here, you will surely find template app for your needs.

Regards,

Nar

Michael Mitschke September 30, 2022

Thank you Nar for sharing.
Does the template creation has the same formating options like the normal describtion field?
Specifically: can I create "info panels" in the templates of this app?

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 3, 2022

Hi Michael,

Update: panels including other Jira editor features are supported now.

Panels are currently not supported. We might be able to add it in the future, please watch our app here (bottom right) to get notified of future releases.

Like Michael Mitschke likes this
Michael Mitschke October 4, 2022

Thanks for your reply!
Please , please ;) Consider implementing that feature. The reason is this can be very well used instead of the non existing checkboxes.

Diana Mortimer October 18, 2022

I installed the app, but I want to use formatting (bold, bullets, etc) in the template.  Do I need another app for that?  ProTip says use Markdown?

Marketplace Partner
December 5, 2022

Hi Diana,

We have updated the editor. You can now use the same Jira editor experience with our app.

Michael Mitschke December 5, 2022

@Nar Kumar C_ - Narva Software 
Wait! Does that mean info panels are now available for usage too?

Like Umesh Chaudhary likes this
2 votes
Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2022

Hi,

To create templates for issues, you can use our free app called Issue Templates Agent for Jira. The template is applied on the standard Create issue screen, so you don't have to use any new screen to create tickets from templates. I strongly recommend you to try it.

Cheers,

Kate

Appsvio team

eyal_silverstein August 19, 2023

Hi @Katarzyna Pawlak _Appsvio_

We had a positive experience using your application previously. However, it appears that Jira has made certain changes within the last month, which have led to your app's functionality being disrupted. Specifically, an error now arises whenever an issue with an associated template is being created. Kindly find the error details attached for your reference.Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 9.06.00.png

Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2023

Hi @eyal_silverstein ,

Please check in the Field configuration what type of renderer is set to Description or other text fields which are added to the template. It should be Wiki Style renderer.

If it doesn't help, please create a ticket on our customer portal https://appsvio.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/3. We'll check our logs and investigate this issue.

Kate

1 vote
Lucy Dilts November 13, 2021

Have to agree w/ James. This is a basic feature of every PM tool our teams have used in the past.

Sari Ollikainen January 17, 2022

Is this again a feature, which does not exist in Jira?

Like Lucy Dilts likes this
1 vote
Leon July 8, 2021

I would simply create a story with all template contents needed,

Then, I'll ask all teammates to create new story by cloning the story.

This way doesn't require any plugin.

Jim Coryat July 8, 2021

But requires teammates to perform an additional manual step.  This makes is NOT the path of lease resistance which then equates to being optional and processes break down if the team is not motivated to comply.  This is a major gap in the features of the product.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Pavel Pavlovsky_AppLiger_ February 19, 2019

Hey @Sebastian_Grutz ,

You can try Easy Templates for Jira Issues add-on: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219112/easy-templates-for-jira-issues

It allows you to create the most general and useful templates for different issue types and cases, like story, bug report, on/offboarding and other processes. Add subtasks and set Templates per issue type.

Cheers,
Pavel 

0 votes
Luka Hummel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
November 24, 2023

Hi,

I'm Luka from codefortynine 👋

I also want to add that you can use our app Deep Clone for Jira to clone template projects and issues.

Deep Clone can clone a project, including its configuration with Project Clone.

Additionally, you can also clone template Epic hierarchies or other hierarchies with Epic/Tree Clone.

You can read more about using template projects with Deep Clone here.

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2019

Hello,

Kindly, have a look at this plugin:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211044/issue-templates-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

It is not possible to have issue templates out of the box.

Sebastian_Grutz February 19, 2019

Hi Alexey,

thank you very much for your help!

Best regards

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2019

You are most welcome!

James Klein - Deactivated September 11, 2020

sorry but that's totally garbage. Why would we need to pay for a feature that comes out of the box in every other project management tool, including the free ones, on the market?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer