How can I create a read only account in Jira

Stephane Tchoulack July 4, 2019

I want some Jira users to be allowed to "read" Jira tickets, but not create or edit them. I followed the guidelines here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-cloud-how-to-create-a-read-only-user-779160729.html

However, it seems the permission are still not set properly. The users still have all the permissions. Can someone help?

1 answer

0 votes
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2019

This is driven by the Permission Scheme for the project you want them to have RO access to.  Edit the Permission Scheme, and ensure that the user/role/group that they are in only has access to the Browse Project permission, and no others.

Then you will also need to ensure the user isn't a member of any other groups or roles on the project that would give them access to any other permissions.

Stephane Tchoulack July 4, 2019

I have 3 permission schemes
1- default permission scheme
2- default software scheme
The Jira project that we are working on is assigned to this permission scheme
3- read only permision scheme
I want my read only accounts to use this permission scheme to access the Jira project in read only mode.

I created a project role and I named it "read only"
I created groups named xxx_read_only_users.
I assigned some jira acount under xxx_read_only_users.

Do I need to edit the default software scheme (2) or the read only permission scheme (3)?
Please note that in the default software scheme, the "create issues" permission is granted to:
- Application access: "any logged in user"
- project role" atlassian addons project access"
The "browse projects" permission is granted to
- Application access: "any logged in user"
- project role" atlassian addons project access"

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2019

A project can only use one Permission Scheme.  So you don't really need the Read Only one.  You can edit the default software scheme.

Make sure that the new "read only" project role is only assigned the Browse Projects permission in the scheme.  

And review all the other permissions, to make sure that 'any logged in user" isn't granted other permissions.

Stephane Tchoulack July 8, 2019

Thank you, very helpful!

Stephane Tchoulack July 8, 2019

Actually it does not work yet...

For the "create issues" permission, I did the following:

- I removed "application access: any logged in user"

- I added a "read write" project role

- I assigned some groups as default members of the "read write" project role

As part of a member of a group that is part of the "read write" project role, I was expecting that I would be able to create issues, but I am not. I dont have the permission for an unknown reason. However, when I add the "any logged in use", I am now able to create issues.

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2019

You can use the Permission Helper to see if you can determine why this is not working for you.  Go to Admin > Settings > System > Permission Helper.

This allows you to enter a username, issue key and permission, and will tell you why that permission is not available for the specified user.

Suggest an answer