How can I create a query to identify new Stories created to an existing Epic?

Clifford Perea September 12, 2022

I am wanting to identify new stories that are created to an Epic after the Epic has already been created. I can get to the point where I identify the stories, but I don't know the commands to use to identify the stories under an existing Epic. 

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2022

Hello @Clifford Perea 

Are you trying to do this in a generic manner, or for a specific Epic?

Are you working with issues in a Team Managed project or in a Company Managed project?

Please show us what you have so far.

Hi @Trudy Claspill I would like to look within a specific Epic and I am working within a company managed project. I currently only have the basic portion of identifying Stories for a specific project with a status of new, but from there I get stuck, because I don't know the JQL commands enough to show new stories created after the Epic was initially created. 

I am also thinking that it would just be easier that if I know the dates when specific Epics were created, then I can just do a search based on the date range and tied to a specific fix version that the Epics are tied to. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2022

Hello @Clifford Perea 

Here is a link to the documentation for using JQL to filter for issues. This includes a link to a page listing many of the fields that are available for use in filters.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/what-is-advanced-searching-in-jira-cloud/

If you know the issue id for the Epic then you would add this criteria to your filter:

AND "Epic Link" = XYZ-123

...where "XYZ-123" is replaced with the issue id for the Epic.  In Company Managed projects, the id for the parent Epic of an issue is stored in the "Epic Link" field for that issue. Adding the above to your filter will constrain it to return only the issues that are currently children of the specified Epic.

You said you want to find the stories "created to an Epic after the Epic is already created". Issues can be added as children of an Epic only after the Epic has been created, so I'm unclear what you are trying to get at with that.

Like Clifford Perea likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events