How can I create a hierarchy of EPIC , Feature, Story and Sub task ?

Surajit Kundu September 22, 2018

I want to create an hierarchy of EPIC , Feature , Story and Sub task , As of now I can link my story with EPIC but I want it to be connected to feature and every subtask should be connected to a story , Feature must link with EPIC

3 answers

4 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2018

The issuetypes come in three hierarchical flavors:

1. Epic
  2. Story, Task
  3. sub-task

you can create new issue types that equate to level 2 or 3 (story/task or sub-task). So your Feature could be at level 2. You can’t create another level. Here are your options:

• Epic that have Features which then have sub-tasks
  • Feature = Epic which has stories/tasks which has sub-tasks
  • look at Atlassian Portfolio (don’t have experience with this but believe it may achieve your goals)
Surajit Kundu September 24, 2018

Portfolio may work , but it's in additional cost

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2018

Correct and as Alexey mentioned Structure would be an option to consider.

P SRINIVASA RAO February 8, 2019

Hello ,

The perfect and recommended way is to go for portfolio Hierarchy. 

In our organization we are following the 4 levels of Hierarchy as follows.

1. Portfolio-Epic

2. Epic

3.Story/Task

4. Sub taks

Here you go and find the related information to configure the hierarchy levels as per your request. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/configuring-initiatives-and-other-hierarchy-levels-828785179.html?_ga=2.15043440.798510558.1549655664-855966523.1549655664

I hope the provided information fulfil your request.

Cheers:)

Srinivasa

Like Partha likes this
Ram H
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 14, 2020

Is it possible to include Feature between Epic and Story? We want the hierarchy 

Epic --> Feature --> Story --> Task

Like # people like this
Renoxx Developers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 17, 2020

Hi Ram & Surajit,

The only way you can control your hierarchy of tasks is called "Advanced RoadMaps". It is a feature available to premium license holders only.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapscloud/configuring-hierarchy-levels-998650959.html

Like # people like this
1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2018
0 votes
Shaili_RVS_Support October 2, 2020

Hi, 

You might want to try out the below addon

Agile Tools - Epic Tree and issue Tracker 

It will provide you the below features

• Sum up your Epic's Time Spent, Original Estimate, Time Remaining, and Percent Complete
  • Display and manage Sprint/Epics/Issues of your project
  • Edit Issue summary, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree with real time updates in the progress
  • Rolled up percentage completion and at issue level as well

Epic Tree Screen_Hierarchy.png

Suggest an answer