How can I create a custom field that has checkboxes with associated text?

amara.welling August 17, 2021

I need to create a custom field called "BA checklist" which is basically a list of checkboxes with criteria/tasks that need to be satisfied for each Story, by the business analyst. I don't see any such option for custom fields. Has anyone had to do something like this and if so, how did you go about it?

Thanks,

5 answers

3 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2021

Hello @amara.welling 

Are you working with a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project? It will say at the bottom of the navigation pane on the left.

If you are working with a Company Managed project, a Jira Administrator must make the custom field and add it to your project, and the custom field type is called Checkboxes.

If you are working in a Team Managed project, then you open one of the issues and select Configure Fields. That is where you find the option to create custom fields, if you have sufficient permissions.

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 10.32.45 AM.png

@Trudy Claspill thank you!

I tried this and it didn't give me what I needed exactly.

I was looking more for something that resembled the "Acceptance Criteria" widget - mentioned below (Checklist for Jira addon). 

Thanks for your response. 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Olena Brazhko_Railsware_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2021

Hi @amara.welling,

You can try the Smart checklist for Jira. With this add-on, you can create any checkbox you need, mark the progress of each item, set automated changes upon the checklist completion, etc.

If you are interested, you get get the Free version here.

Have a look at the Get Started pageFormatting GuideAutomation for Jira examples. For our support, reach out directly to smartchecklist@railsware.com.

Best,
Olena

1 vote
Answer accepted
Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2021

Hi @amara.welling 

I don't recall any Custom Field type that will meet your requirements.

You can use an addon Checklist for Jira that will work great with handling Acceptance Criteria.

You can also split every story to new subtasks type called "Acceptance criteria" that need to be completed for a story to be considered finished.

Best regards,

Piotr

@Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_ this is sort of what I'm looking for! However, I want to be able to add a custom field with this specific addon *already pre-populated* unlike the acceptance criteria behavior that you mention, where it's populated during refinement of the Story. 

So the field would appear like this in Jira:

BA Checklist

<> Gather requirements

<> Stakeholder review

etc. where <> represents a checkbox. 

We want to avoid entering this information each time for every Story. 

Thanks for your help! 

Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2021

@amara.welling you can add (as @Trudy Claspill suggested) Custom Field called BA Checklist (type checkbox) and populate its options with your checklist (Gather requirements, Stakeholder review, etc). Then you can add such field in issue screens. Probably you can also create condition to your workflow transition to Done status for story that will not allow anybody to complete the story without all options checked.

Field configuration:

ba1.png

Issue creation screen:

ba2.png

Issue view screen:

ba3.png

Like # people like this
Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2021

@amara.welling, as I think about your requirement I suggest you to reconsider usind subtasks. You can create automation that will creaqte a sequence of subtasks like Gather req and Stakeholder rewview with every story on a project. Apart from ability to manage the workflow/fields/screens of such subtasks you will be able for example to estimate, report, assign such subtasks independently of main story.  

Yes, @Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_ this is the alternative approach that I will consider if I can't get the checklist to work!

Thanks so much for your help. 

0 votes
Julia Shcherbyna _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 8, 2021

Hi @amara.welling 

You can also consider Business Process Manager. Using it, you can do what you need: in a specific issue, there will always be a form that you as an administrator can configure and which can start at any time.

bpm form.png

Moreover, results from a form can be automatically written as an issue custom field, and you can use it for JQL queries.

If you need help with configuration, let me know (this app is developed by my team).

Best regards

0 votes
Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 18, 2021

Hello @amara.welling,

You should be able to achieve what you need with Issue Checklist Free from my team. 

We want to avoid entering this information each time for every Story. 

Default checklist feature allows defining what project and issue type get particular checklist template on issue creation (automatically). 

criteria/tasks that need to be satisfied for each Story

That can be achieved with Block workflow transition if checklist is not complete feature. 

In case of questions, I'm happy to help.

Cheers,
Jack

Suggest an answer