How can I create a conditional like this: If "Assignee" = X, Then "Label" = "Z"

Laura Lofgren June 1, 2021

I was wondering how I can set up an automation so that, If the Assignee equals a particular person, then automatically the issue will be assigned a particular label.

Alternatively, is it possible to filter based on if Assignee was/has ever been "Production" then it will appear in a filter, no matter who the issue is assigned to now?

(Either of these things will accomplish my goal of trying to create a filter that will show tasks that are assigned to a particular person that were originally assigned to "Production")

1 answer

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2021

You could use automation for this. Basically you’d want to trigger on issue updated check the assignee based on the assignee set the label. I would also likely check the label to see if it already has that label on it and if so skip it. This covert cases where you’re going around in circles resigning issues. Having said that you probably need to also consider that possibility because I think you’d want to remove the previous label if it gets reassigned. This could get messy I think. Might I ask what’s your real goal is here why do you need to use unique label based on the assignee? There may be a better way to achieve your goal.

Thanks! Sorry, how do I create an automation? (I am new to JIRA and don't have a lot of the admin stuff down yet).

My goal is to create a filter by Assignee (ex. Jane), so Assigned to Jane, AND was once assigned to "Production". So my thought was to have an issue automatically get the label "Production" when it is assigned to Production, so that when it is reassigned to Jane, it will still have the label Production. Then I can create a filter Assigned to Jane and Label = Production. Does that make sense? Thank you for your response.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2021

I wonder if using the Components field might work here? This field might be used to signify Production or other areas of responsibility. I’m not quite sure how you “assign to production” unless you mean someone in Production.

here is a link to Automation docs - automate-your-jira-cloud-processes-and-workflows 

Thank you! I was able to set up the automation so that If the assignee = Production, then the Component = Production (component works too), but I can't figure out how to make the component STAY as Production. Once the assignee changes, the rule runs again and reverses it and removes the Component. Do you know how I can make it stay?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2021

I haven’t looked at using components in any automation rule however you should have an option to add to components not  overwrite  it. 

However, to be honest I’m still a bit lost. Are you saying that you have a user name production? I was thinking production was some sort of category or lifecycle milestone. If production is indeed a user that can be assigned an issue then I would use component. Are you simply trying to record every user an issue was assigned to? If so then to what end? What do you want that field to look like?what do you want to do with it?

Yes there is a user named Production which is just an email address that the entire Production team has access to. When an issue is assigned to Production, it enters their "Queue" and then they assign amongst themselves to an actual assignee (real person). The Production manager wants a filter that shows each assignee on her team, but she wants it filtered by "Production" tasks (since her team also takes other kinds of tasks).

So the automation would automatically assign the Component Production to anything assigned to Production, so that after it gets assigned to a team member, it's still marked as a Production task and can be filtered based on that.

Suggest an answer