How can I create a Kanban sub filter that shows all issues linked to epics with a particular label

Kirsten Lawarik July 8, 2019

I'm using the new Jira Cloud software.

I have a project with 5 Kanban boards; 1 main board and 4 sub boards. The intention here is to be able to see work relating to a particular element of the project separately and, as the team grows and elements of work are designated to particular teams, enable those team to work un-distracted from the noise of the full project. 

All issues will have an Epic associated with them. Each epic has a label that associated with an element of the project (which correspond with the 4 additional boards). 

As each project element has several epics, I'd rather filter by the issues that are linked with epics with a specific tag, rather than filtering by the epics themselves. This will save administration moving forward as more epics are added, as when a label is added the existing filters should pick it up. 

I did see this, but have had trouble implementing it in the Cloud (I'm not sure that Issuefunction or linkedissueof exist? I've had trouble in any case). https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/How-to-filter-for-all-epics-with-a-certain-label-and-all-issues/qaq-p/155121

It would be great if someone could provide me with a JQL filter for Jira Cloud that will enable me to return all issues linked to epics that contain a certain label.

(To clarify, I don't want to label every issue. I want the filter to understand the issue is associated with an epic that has a specific label. The filter would return all linked issues of all epics with 'x' label). 

2 answers

0 votes
Nikhil July 18, 2019

We can get the list  linked issues that are in different status using the plugin"JQL Search Extensions"

JQl:- issue in allIssuesInEpic("labels = X") gives you the list of all the issues and subtasks of epic which has a label "X"

Documentation can be found here

0 votes
Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2019

Hello @Kirsten Lawarik 

Try this 

"Epic Link" != null and labels = desired label 

Also, the issue I found when I was implementing similar this for my reports are sub-tasks 

Sub-tasks cant have an epic link so you need a way to find sub-task of issues that are associated with some epic, found a solution for this but requires ScriptRunner.

"Epic Link" != null and labels = desired label or (issueFunction in subtasksOf("\"Epic Link\"!=null") and labels = desired label)

BR, Olga

Suggest an answer