How can I change the summary field type or how can I make another custom field as a request title?

roknet January 1, 2020

I'm a Jira Service Desk Cloud user.

When I create the forms it is asking to use summary field but summary field is just a text field (can't change the field type) and I don't want to allow customers to write their own words on summary filed, instead of that I want to give options to choose from drop down list. If I give the customer to put their own work i don't think they will write proper words.

As an alternative I have tried to use another field but then when request comes the summary field still on the title but I want to keep my own field as a request title.

Please help me on this issue.

Thank you

4 answers

0 votes
Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2020

Hi @roknet ,

To my knowledge you cannot use another field as title of the request, especially on cloud since it is less customizable. And Nic is probably the most knowledgeable member of the community, you can trust him on that.

My best advice would be to use an automation add-on to copy the value of that custom field into the summary.

But then again... if your goal is to let the customer choose, just let them fill the summary as they wish and it will serve its purpose perfectly.

roknet January 3, 2020

Thank you for the reply.

In my experience it is better not to allow the customer to write there own words on the title but on the description field they can write whatever they want.

As an IT support service provider we can define most common issues under a specific category to use and can give last option as other.
This will help to minimize the mistakes and it will save time when attending the issue.

0 votes
roknet January 1, 2020

Dear Nic,

I’m surprised why you became the community leader. 
I’m not asking to change the summary field type, I’m asking for the solution for my requirement. I believe I have explained my concern different ways. I’m sure anyone those who see the attached screen and my description will understand my concern. I discussed the issue with so many friends and developers and they agree with me and they asked me to check with Jira.
This is my very first community post but now I feel my time is wasting here. Again thank you for the quick response.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 1, 2020

Your "requirement" has changed during the discussion.  I've explained that the Summary field type cannot be changed, which was what you originally asked.  And I've explained why the requirement is not really of any use.

You can add a custom field to hold your extra data, there's no problem with doing that, and I would suggest you have a look at the marketplace for an app that can automate filling it with the data you want, rather than asking your people to understand and fill it (it doesn't look like data people will understand how to generate or fill in properly)

But you cannot change the way the summary field works.  There's nothing else to add to that part of the discussion.  It's text, it will be the field Jira presents as the main short summary of an issue and it can not be changed.

roknet January 3, 2020

I changed the question because you are replying to the main question rather than the last comment in the conversation.

As I mentioned on my very first screenshot I said if the summary field can't be customized, is there any option to use any other custom field as the title or subject of the request. Now the subject/title of the request is only what is written on the summary field.

If I can use any other field as a subject/title of the request, I can keep summary field as it is for the summary. The main issue is only the summary field comes on the subject/title of the request. What I believe is the customer should have the option to select which filed will be the subject/title of the request because it is displaying on the agent's request list.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2020

Ok, as I already said, yes you can use another field to store data, but it is not going to replace the summary.

You could, if you have one of the automation or scripting apps, replace the summary with your code, but this is not a nice thing to do to your people - they will put something (useful to them) in the summary, and you'll destroy it by overwriting.  Even if you did a swap with another text field, you're going to find people find the issue key and summary to be the most important and useful displays for them.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 1, 2020

You can't change the summary field and your people have to fill it in.

Most humans find the summary field useful, we like having a short description of what we are asking.

roknet January 1, 2020

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, it is very important to give the description of the issue and we want to get it from the customer but here my concern is not about the description.

For example I want to keep another field for request type with a drop down menu and keep the summary field to write the description or further details of the issue but when the agent receive the request the request type is not on the title of the request instead the summary field is on the title.

I hope the attached screenshot will make it clear.

Thank you again.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 1, 2020

I think you have misunderstood.  There is no way to change the "type" of the summary field.  It is required, your humans find it useful and it has to be filled in.

If you want to change that, you will need to rewrite most of Jira (which you can't do on Cloud).

You can have other fields for request type and anything else you want to ask your people when they raise things.  I'm not sure why changing the summary field would be of any real use.

roknet January 1, 2020

Dear Nic,

I'm fully understanding what you are trying to say and I understand the use of the summary field.

I will try to give different example. Lets keep the summary field as it is and I want to make another field as a request type and I want the new field to come as a title of the request. Is this possible? What i believe is when a request comes to the agent the title of the request should be the request type not the what is written on the summary field.
For example if someone sending an email to me and she is written the content of the email on subject field and the subject of the email on the content field, so it will be difficult for the receiver to trace it.

Please find the attached picture which shows both summary field and my customs filed for the request type.summary field issue.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 1, 2020

No, again, you cannot change the type of the summary field.  It is plain text and will always be so.  You already have an issue key generated and available in all mails and screens, please don't try to make Jira less useful by putting junk in the summary field, keep it as a short description of why the issue has been raised.

0 votes
roknet January 1, 2020

summary field issue.png

Suggest an answer