How can I change the email addresses of all the Users in Jira

Mayuri Sathe February 1, 2021

My company wants to move to a different domain. Hence as a Jira Admin, I want to move all the Users, including myself to a different email id. 

Example: current email associated with Jira User is User@first-biz.com and I want to move it to User@second-biz.com. 

Is this possible? What steps do I need to take to get this done?

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2021

Hello Everyone,

We see there is a big number of customers that are still facing many questions regarding bulk changing of Atlassian accounts, so we would like to provide a few concepts and options to properly achieve this goal:

In order to bulk change the email of the Atlassian accounts/users in your Atlassian site, you must first verify your domain to confirm you are the domain owner and the manager of all the accounts under that specific email domain. Once that's done, all the Atlassian accounts using that specific email domain are considered Managed accounts, so you can use the following APIs to bulk update those accounts:

• The Organizations API is available to list all the managed accounts in your organization. You can use this to enumerate the unique Atlassian account ID for each user.
  • The User management API is available to edit individual users. You can use this API to edit attributes for a given Atlassian account ID using the PATCH /users/ {account_id}/manage/profile method.

The types of changes you can make with those APIs include:

• Enabling/disabling the Atlassian account
  • Changing user email addresses or departments

For other bulk user management changes, we recommend using the User provisioning (SCIM) API to sync users and groups from an external system. The documentation for the SCIM API is also now available.

P.S: There are a few considerations that should be taken into account when updating a user's email address. You can check those in the documentation below:

Change Atlassian account email addresses 

We hope this information helps.

1 vote
Deleted user February 2, 2021

Hi @Mayuri Sathe ,

I can help you with this! This can be done with the help of Jira command line interface app by running the below CLI action command.

--action runFromCsv --file new_email.csv --common "--action updateUser"

Update your new email-IDs in the CSV file and run the CLI action, it will update the emails in bulk. 

The CSV file should contain the details like userId and userEmail as the column names as shown below:

updateuser_file.png
Thanks,
Raja

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2021

Hi Mayuri - Is this a managed account with a verified Domain? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2021

i'm guessing not here.

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2021

Instruct Each user to go to id.atlassian.com and update their email.

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2021

He won't be able to do this if he his already managing the accounts I believe ... Otherwise a good option too !

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2021

given he is on free account I'm assuming a pretty simple configuration w/ <10 users

Mayuri Sathe February 10, 2021

Hi.. However, we are also changing the domain..
So if old email is User@first-biz.com and I want to change it to User@second-biz.com

0 votes
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2021

Hi @Mayuri Sathe , 

you can do this through the Atlassian Access SCIM API : https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/admin/user-provisioning/rest/api-group-users/#api-scim-directory-directoryid-users-userid-get

If you don't use Atlassian Access to handle your accounts, you will have to manually update every user from admin.atlassian.com interface.

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events