How can I automatically apply labels to issues when they reach a certain column?

Andrew Brown February 23, 2015

I'd like to automatically apply label(s) to issues whenever they reach a certain column in the workflow, for example, "release blocker" to all issues that have been merged into mainline but not yet tested, so I can keep track of them if they get rejected in testing and need to go through another round of development.

Is it possible to configure columns to apply labels to issues when they get moved into that column?

3 answers

2 votes
MikeyS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2015

Andrew, are you simply looking to find issues that were previously in a more advanced workflow status?  If so, you may be able to simply use the 'was' search term in JQL.

e.g. project = MYPROJ and status was Merged

If that won't work for what you're trying to accomplish, though, Jobin's answer is likely the way to go.

Andrew Brown February 27, 2015

This worked perfectly for my use-case. Thank you!

Andrew Brown March 3, 2015

Actually, this worked perfectly until starting a new sprint with issues that were not completed during the last one. Those issues no longer filter in with "status was Merged" if they were only in Merged last sprint. Thanks though.

MikeyS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2015

@Andrew Brown I just tried this out using swimlane queries to keep track of issues that were previously Resolved and this worked well when moving from one sprint to the next. Could you provide more details about how you're using the filter with your board? Are you using swimlanes or card colors?

2 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2015

Moving to a column in the agile board triggers a workflow transition in the backend. You can configure workflow post functions to set specific values on issues.

There is no post function in cloud that can set the "Label" field value but you can set custom field values using the "Update Issue Custom Field " post function from JIRA Suite Utilities plugin. Set a custom field value and then use it to track the issue. You can probably even try setting a custom field of type "labels"!

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2015

There is no way to do this out of the box. You may be able to accomplish this using something analogous to the Automation plugin: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.plugin.automation.jira-automation-plugin except made for Cloud.

Suggest an answer