How can I allow a user view a project board?

Daniel Ruiz April 26, 2021

I've already given this user access to the board and provided them a read only view. But they still can't search for this board in Jira or view it even with the direct link.

1 answer

0 votes
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2021

Hi, @Daniel Ruiz - welcome to the community! The first thing to check is the Browse Projects permission. Go to Project Settings, then Permissions, in your project. Then look for Browse Projects:

2021-04-26 11_34_37-Project Search Engine Optimization - Project Permissions - Jira - Vivaldi.png

Depending on the permission scheme your project is using, you may be able to just add the user to a project role, or you may need to actually adjust the permission scheme. If you provide a screenshot of what your Browse Projects permissions look like, I can provide more assistance.

Daniel Ruiz April 26, 2021

Hi Esther, thanks for replying so quickly! Actually to make things more complicated this user is a (partner) of ours who should only be allowed to view this one project board. Our current permissions are in the attached screenshot. This user isn't in those groups listed in the browse projects permissions. I'm curious if I create a new group for this one person and add that new group to this browse projects permissions. This browse projects permissions setting is currently assigned to 19 other projects as well. Will this new user have access to those other 19 projects as well as the one I want them to view? I just want him to be able to view the one assigned project and not the other 19. Thanks for your help!Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 12.40.47 PM.png

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2021

So yes; if you create a new group and add it to the existing permission scheme that's attached to 20 projects, the access will be granted to all 20 projects. There are two ways you can deal with this.

First option: create a new permission scheme for this project (you can copy the existing one) and update the browse projects setting to allow your partner to view this project. 

Second option (best practice): use project roles in your permissions scheme. Create project roles at the system level; one could be called Partners. Update your shared permission scheme to use the Partners role in the browse projects (and other) permissions that you currently are using the groups for. You can then set those roles at the project level - groups can be added to project roles, so you can set, project by project, which partner groups should have the Partners role. This is obviously a more time-consuming option, especially if you have a lot of projects, but it's much more flexible.

Here's the documentation on using project roles.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events