How can I add table to default description of a issue type?

Alex Chen March 20, 2022

I want something like below when I click on the create button

table.jpg

But in project setting, there's no way for me to add a table, even with below pattern, it's not working.

dtable.jpg

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2022

Hi @Alex Chen 

In Team-managed Projects...

• Tables are available when creating/editing an Issue...
  • ...but not available when setting a default description (i.e an Issue template)

It looks like there are some other limitations also - default description also doesn't have coloured text, attachments, dates, or status icons.

I couldn't find much documentation on why this is - not even in this help page - but there is a feature request for this, view/vote for JRACLOUD-78176 

Ste

Alex Chen March 21, 2022

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ Thanks for update. Just weird why don't Jira use same editor for settings and creating/editing issues.

Hope this feature request will be finalized soon.

Alex

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2022

Hi @Alex Chen 

There is one alternative, but it's not available in Team-managed Projects.

Natively, it's still possible to set a default value at creation using wiki markup using Company-managed Projects' custom fields.

So you could set a table like this in the create screen...

Please, fill the table below:

||Head 1||Head 2||
|Col A1|Col A2|

There is also a workaround for the system field Description in Company-managed also.

The below details how to....

• Replace the Description field with a custom field for creation
  • After creation, copy the information from the custom field back to Description

1. Create a custom paragraph field
  2. Populate its default value with the above wiki markup
  3. Change the new field's renderer to Wiki Style in the Field Configuration
  4. On related Projects, create a second screen (if it doesn't exist)
  5. Remove Description, and add your new custom field
  6. Modify the screen scheme, and make your new screen the create operation
  7. Your existing screen (where the custom paragraph field is not visible, but Description is), should remain for the view operation
  8. Create an Automation rule with the trigger Issue created, and the edit issue action to copy the data from the custom paragraph field, back to Description

^ This will allow you to have the table in a "Description field" at creation. I've done this before, and it works.

Let us know if this is helpful!

Ste

Tim Rooney June 23, 2023

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ good morn,

I don't see we are able to create custom "Paragraph" fields you offer a solution for. I'm using Jira Datacenter.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2023

Hi @Tim Rooney 

Paragraph is a Cloud term, it would be a multi-line text field in Data Center.

But you should be able to just modify the system field itself in DC - and set the template that way.

Ste

Suggest an answer