How can I add 2 fields to get a total sum in a 3rd custom field?

Steve Hooczko September 9, 2021

Story Points + QA Story Points = Total Story Points

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2021

Hi Steve,

You can use Automation for Jira to do that. You could base it on one of the first two fields being updated, the update the Total Story Points field based on a formula like:

{{#=}}{{issue.customfield_16719}}+{{issue.customfield_16939}}{{/}}

Using the custom field id for Story Points and QA Story Points. Or it could look like this:

{{#=}}{{issue.Story Points}}+{{issue.QA Story Points}}{{/}}

Frank Collazo September 19, 2023

@John Funk I'm only able to use this formula on two number fields. How can I sum up 10 fields at once. I tried to just add on to this formula, but it was a no go. 

Disregard, I fat fingered a couple of characters in the formula. 

Like John Funk likes this

Hey @Frank Collazo

I know it's been a while since you posted this comment, but I wanted to share something that might help. We at awesome custom fields recently released the advanced formula field, which supports Jira expressions and could be the solution you were looking for. If you are still in need of an easy way to sum up multiple fields at once, our new field might be just what you need. 

Feel free to check it out, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions. 

Cheers Kavitha from Team Awesome Custom Fields

Like Paul Pasler likes this
Frank Collazo May 6, 2024

@Kavitha Vaikunthavasan _Seibert-Media_ thank you for this information, but currently my network isn't allowed to use third party apps due to vulnerabilities. That will not change unfortunately. 

Okay, no problem. Did you manage to find another work around to solve your issue?  

Steve Hooczko May 8, 2024

Does this formula go into an automation rule or go directly into the field definition that will include the sum?

@Steve Hooczko It goes directly in the field definition/configuration.

It is a custom field, where you can define the formula, using jira expression and you can also use numbers in the formula, or use other custom fields from the issue to be included in the formula. You can find more information about the field here. And you can also use our custom fields in an automation rule. 

1 vote
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2021

Hi @Steve Hooczko do you know scripted fields feature of the ScriptRunner App?
https://docs.adaptavist.com/sr4jc/latest/features/scripted-fields

I think it should work

Steve Hooczko September 9, 2021

I don't have the ScriptRunner App

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS