How To Find Initiatives with no Epics

Lee Cash July 7, 2021

Hi.

I am looking for a simple JQL that will return a list of Initiatives with no Epics (so I know which ones to focus on at planning).

If this was a normal parent/child relationship I could use hasLinkType() but, nope, this has to be different! :)

Thanks!

Lee

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2021

Per this post from 2020

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Require-a-JQL-Query-that-will-pull-all-initiatives-within-a/qaq-p/1352850

...it seems like there is no support for that query in native Jira, but you can add a third party app that extends the JQL features and will enable you to get the results.

(Credit to @Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_ )

Lee Cash July 8, 2021

Thanks Trudy. I did find that plugin in my search but I was hoping there was another way without purchasing another plugin. 

0 votes
Harrison Carr July 7, 2021

hey boss! try something like: 

"Epic Link" is null and issuetype = Initiatives 

Epic Link being your epic field name, Initiative being the issue type you choose to filter on. 

Lee Cash July 8, 2021

Thanks for your suggestion but we don't associate the Epic Link with an Initiative. An Initiative will have multiple Epics linked to it as children. Epic Link is singular value.

Suggest an answer