How Do I bulk assign tickets in JIRA

Mustafa Al-mosawi May 12, 2014

I have a team member who has switched teams and I would like to bulk reassign all the tickets to another team member. Is there an easy way to do this in JIRA?

1 answer

1 accepted

15 votes
Answer accepted

1. Conduct a custom JQL to bring up the user's tickets. (e.g. status = Open AND assignee = <member> AND project = "<My Team>")

2. Under Tools Bulk Change there is an option listing the number of tickets returned by the query.

3. Choose all issues by clicking the bulk checkbox in the first row, first column.

4. Click Next.

5. Click Edit.

6. Click Next.

7. Click Change Assignee

8. Click Next.

Profit.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2014

Not sure why you asked!

Like Stijn Gillis likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2014

Yeah, the search in Answers is monumentally awful to be honest. Unfortunately, posting more questions in an attempt to provide better answers isn't going to help an already broken search.

The first hit on Google is almost the same question you asked though, and the second and third hits find the documentation on Atlassian's "how you use jira" docs. And searching their confluence gets "bulk edit" on the first hit as well.

I searched in help, I didn't find it. I tried in the non-advanced JIRA Interface I couldn't find it. I checked the Answers, and couldn't find the question - so I thought I'd ask, and if someone was able to answer me before I figured it out, then I would benefit. If I figured it out beforehand, then I would post my findings so someone else could benefit. Besides, maybe my flow is the long way 'round.

Like # people like this
Matt Sweetnam March 22, 2019

I like it, thanks Mustafa - this should be a more obvious thing, but when you're in the project itself (looking at queues etc) there isn't a bulk edit function. Seems like we have to back out to the top Jira level and do a custom search there.

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user November 19, 2019

Has anyone been able to find a way to do this without needing to have Admin access to use the "Bulk Edit" function?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2019

It's never needed "admin access", just "bulk edit" access in global permissions.  (Yes, your admins need to set that, but I'd say 60-80% of Jira systems I've seen allow buld edit to "any logged in user")

Sai Nikhil - OLD May 15, 2020

This solution no longer works

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2020

Um, I used it last week, it does work.

Suggest an answer