How Can I change an Email Addresses for a User that is from Deactived Jira Account

Deanne Wilson June 7, 2021

I have a user that had his email changed and he inadvertently set up a second account in Jira (with the same User Name and new email address). We want to update his current account which has all the history and is set up correctly linking him to the appropriate tickets, groups, etc. with the new email address and delete the new account.

I tried deactivating his newest account and pushing the "request for change" with the new email address in his current Jira account via the Admin panel. But when he accepted the changes he received an email that his email address could not be updated because it is linked to another Jira account even though I just deactivated it.

Does anyone have a workaround that will allow me to use his new email address (now linked to a deactivated Jira account) with his current Jira account (with his old email adress)?

Please advise.

Thank you in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2021

Hi @Deanne Wilson

I didn't try this myself yet, but can you update the email in the new account to something bogus, e.g.? Then you can try to deactivate the new account, and update the email in the old/current account with the new email address.

Deanne Wilson June 9, 2021

I tried that. I couldn't use a bogus account since it requires email verification and then password verification from Atlassian. I set up a temp gmail account to use for the transfer. During that process, I found that there was a delete user in the User's admin panel. I used that to delete the duplicate account. I also deleted the gmail account as well once the duplicate Jira account was deleted. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events