How Can I Create Multiple Sub-Task Configurations?

Anthony Scellini May 1, 2023

Hello, I am looking to make multiple configurations of sub-tasks. For example: I want two different templates for subtasks, one for each department. Each department will have separate standard requirements to complete the task. These will remain the same for each sub-task created, and should be used as a baseline when creating a subtask for department. When creating a subtask, I would like to choose from one of the two configurations to select the most applicable one to use as a template.

Here's what I've tried so far:

I have created an additional subtask called "Sub-Task - Art" from within Settings > Issues > Subtasks and it can be viewed from within Settings > Issues > Issue Types , however I am unable to find it when configuring fields on a project.

5Ns8HjP

However, only the default Subtask appears.

PnRI5lQ

Adding a new issue type from this menu does not give me the option to categorize the issue I am creating as a subtask, and will only create another standard-level issue.

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2023

@Anthony Scellini , welcome to the Atlassian Community!

This happens because your project is a team-managed project. Is a different project type on jira and this project type can not use subtasks or issuetypes 'customized' by the general interface.

If you want to use this specific sub-task, you need to create another project with Company-Managed type.

Please, take a look at here: Learn how company-managed and team-managed projects differ

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Fernando

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2023

Hello @Anthony Scellini 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

The first screen image you provided is for defining issue types that can be used only in Company Managed projects.

The second screen image you provided is from the Project Settings > Issues Types screen in a Team Managed project.

At this time it is not possible to create multiple Subtask issue types in a Team Managed project. There is a change request for that here.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-20901

If you are using a Team Managed project you won't be able to create addition issue types at the Subtask level. To use the additional Sub-task isssue type you defined in the first screen, you would have to migrate to using a Company Managed project.

Anthony Scellini May 1, 2023

Thank you very much for the swift response and I very much appreciate the link to the relevant change request! This explains everything I need to know.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events