Hierarchy Question

Carrie Meyer June 6, 2022

When trying to add an "Epic Link" to a feature we are getting an error that says "You can not set an Epic Link for issues not on the base level.   Please check your Advanced Roadmap Hierarchy Configuration.   

When I got to that I get the new "Issue Type Hierarchy"  I try to add a new level for features but still get this error.

Any idea what the "base level" is or how to work around htis?

Carrie

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2022

The default hierarchy for Jira Software is

Epic

Issue

Sub-task

The Epic Link is only set on Issues at the moment.  Sub-tasks have a special link upwards to make them part of their parent issues, and Epics have another type of link upwards into the other layers you can add in Advanced roadmaps.

Note that you can have many different types of Issue (Task, issue, bug, story, penguin, etc) and sub-task (sub-task, task, technical task, defect, etc) - only requirement is the name be unique.

Note that the Epic link thing will be changing soon, to bring it more into line with the rest of the hierarchy - it'll look more like a simple parent-child link that the others currently do.

nadia.albayati June 8, 2022

what if the error is popping up when tagging a simple issue to an Epic Link? had no issues with this previously then last night we can't tag tasks with an epic link

Michael Marriott June 8, 2022

Yep, I'm getting this all of a sudden. Even when I add a task from the menu on the epic itself.

Seems the more we pay for JIRA the more bugs we are getting

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2022

That sounds like you're trying to use epic link at the sub-task level.

nadia.albayati June 9, 2022

Nope, I was trying to use the Epic they I've always used it. On a task

Like Christoph Schaub likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders