Hide sprints in scrum board with no visible issues?

acertainsubset September 11, 2019

I'm trying to create a scrum board which lists several projects, each with their own sprints. The point would be to organize tasks by sprint, and filter them based on the project. My board filter is:

project in (projA, projB) and assignee in (user) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Id' like to set up my filter so that if I have the ProjA filter active, only sprints and tasks in projA are shown, and all sprints in projB are hidden (currently the sprints are all visible, and just have a note saying "0 of X issues visible"). Are there any filters which can provide this functionality? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2019

Hi @acertainsubset

Filters won't be able to control this - sprints all remain visible to show active and future sprints to come. It will continue to show them even if there is nothing in them / nothing in the filter to show.

If you're not using Scrum though to work on these tasks - just using sprints to break-up the work on the board - I'd consider using an alternative on a Kanban board such as:

• Split the work into releases and use the versions tab on a Kanban board's backlog to show different groups of tasks
  • Use components to show different groups if tasks and add them as quick filters

^ Both these work on the Scrum board also if you're not activating the sprints with organised tasks - so might alleviate the need for the multiple sprints. Depends how you're using the board :)

Ste

Wesley Ingwersen July 11, 2020

I found this to be a problem with bulk issue migration in a classic project. The sprint that the moved issues are a part of shows up with this issues in the new board, which was the intention, but now the sprint name still shows up on the old board...what i really wanted to do was move the entire sprint to the new project. The danger is that, when going back from the project I moved the issues from, I deleted that sprint in the old project...but that must be the same sprint in my new project board because all of a sudden all those issues I moved were just gone from both boards on both projects!! yikes!! I had to find them with an advanced search, and create new sprints with the old names in the new project board. 

As a feature request, it should be possible to just move an entire sprint and its contents.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2020

Hi @Wesley Ingwersen 

Sprints are not tied to a specific project like components or versions. They're not tied to a specific board either.

It's the board filter which governs which sprints will show up in a Scrum board. So if you have two boards where the filter allows the same issue to appear, it visualies the sprint the issue is in on both.

You'd be better off just deleting the old board - or modifying the filter so it's not showing the issues you're moving.

Ste

Suggest an answer