• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Hide right panel in issue view

Is it possible to hide and/or shrink the right panel when viewing an issue in issue view? Sometimes I just want to focus on the description and the issue but the right panel is taking up alot of room (1/3 of the page width)

7 answers

I second the motion on hiding the right panel. It is massive and not necessary to view all the time. It makes the main center panel much too limited (sorry this is not an answer - just hoping Atlassian takes notice).

Yes, what a travesty of design! What were people thinking - were they thinking? and did they even test this???

Like Stijn Van Hoecke likes this

Does anyone know of a ticket to change the width of (or hide) righthand sidebar?

I found in their CSS that they have set the width of this panel to 40%... 

Changing the CSS of the .hvyTRk CSS class to

{

width: 10%;

padding-right: 0

}

in Chrome dev tools shows a much better layout...

Shouldn't be that hard to fix @Jira...

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Oct 07, 2020

The short answer is no, you cannot hide the right panel. I saw in another thread that Atlassian is working on changing the view a bit, but not sure if that includes being able to hide/change the size of the panels.

I too struggling. I need bigger description space. Right panel is not needed all the time. It is covering my half of the page.

Ya...the description needs more space..

0 votes

Try disabling the "Jira labs" option in your Personal setting. This won't remove the right side information but will make it appear in the same panel as the description. 

0 votes

A temporary solution is to create a browser stylesheet (I put mine in my home user folder ~/stylesheet-overrides.css) containing:

body > div.atlaskit-portal-container .hJPObX {
max-width: 300px;
}

#jira-frontend .hxewZo {
max-width: 200px;
}

/*
body > div.atlaskit-portal-container .sc-jhAzac:last-child, body > div.atlaskit-portal-container .dbCBBb:last-child, body > div.atlaskit-portal-container .hJPObX {
max-width: 300px;
}

#jira-frontend .sc-jhAzac:last-child, #jira-frontend .dbCBBb:last-child, #jira-frontend .hxewZo {
max-width: 200px;
}
*/

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 4.37.05 PM.pngI don't know why the width is different in embedded mode (https://<organization>.atlassian.net/jira/software/projects/TPI/boards/4?selectedIssue=<issue>) vs zoomed (https://<organization>.atlassian.net/browse/<issue>) but at least it works.

Unfortunately this solution isn't future-proof (because the classnames may change next time Jira deploys their site) but it's easy enough to right click -> Inspect Element on the right sidebar, find the new classname(s) and update the stylesheet.

Maybe someone with better css skills can find more-permanent selectors. A few of my attempts are in the commented portion above :-)

This doesn't work for me, 'cause I use the cloud version...

And class names seem to change every time i reload the page...

Stijn, you are a star. This had been pretty much unusable.

0 votes

Almost impossible to use this the way it is right now, even more difficult if you have a small screen.

I don't want to have 40% percent of my view width completely squandered by something I don't need at all.

Having a button to hide this shouldn't be so hard.

Forcing everybody to have to deal with this kind of "mobile first" point of view sucks ...

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,023 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you