Hide Completed/Done tickets in Backlog on a SCRUM board

garretmulder October 17, 2018

We have a number of tickets in our backlog scrum board. Some are open but the majority are marked as "Done". These Done items still appear in the backlog but they are crossed off. We'd like to hide these items (not delete them) from view in the backlog so that the only items that show are items that are still active. How would we accomplish this? Thank you! 

3 answers

2 accepted

15 votes
Answer accepted
David Cook October 10, 2019

Hi all, there's a better solution to this than modifying your workflow or just accepting that things are hidden once you put in a resolution. Instead, use the "openSprints()" variable along with the NOT operator. Example shown below:

AND NOT (Status = Done AND Sprint not in openSprints()) 

i.e. - NOT the ones that are done, unless they're in an active sprint.

Hoping this helps some people who stumble across this thread in the future. Best of luck, all

Ondrej Kovac March 27, 2020

This answer should be at the top! :-) Thank you very much.

Like Amy Pennybacker likes this
Joao Borges April 7, 2020

@Ondrej Kovac  what would be the final answer 

Deleted user September 1, 2020

@David Cook thank you so much, this works perfectly.

Nurullah Koca September 2, 2020

@David CookThanks for your answer this helped a lot. But still i have a problem that i can't see the closed issues in the Reports section of jira. I tried to extend your JQL to show it on closed Sprints as well but didn't succeed...

Is there a way to just remove closed sprints from the backlog but still show it everywhere else?

I tried the following

AND NOT (Status = Done AND (Sprint not in openSprints() OR Sprint not in closedSprints()))

But this did not work.

Hope someone can help.

regards

Amy Pennybacker August 16, 2022

This is it!!!  Only thing I needed to adjust was moving ORDER BY to the end as suggested in the answer below.  This is what I ended up with that worked for us:  

project = ProjectName AND NOT (Status = Done AND Sprint not in openSprints()) ORDER BY Rank ASC
Like kate reeder likes this
2 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2018

Hello Garret,

To hide done issues from your Board backlog, you can add the following parameter to your board filter to restrict the resolved issues to appear on it:

and resolution = unresolved

To add it to your board filter, navigate to your board > three dots (...) > Board settings > General > Edit filter query:

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 11.34.40.png

Thanks Petterson. That doesn't seem to work for me. I'm getting the error message below. What have I done wrong. Thanks so much! 

project = BP ORDER BY Rank ASC and resolution = unresolved

Error in the JQL Query: Expecting ',' but got 'and'. (line 1, character 32)

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2018

Hello Garret,

The ORDER BY parameter should be the last parameter in the query. Please, try the following and let me know if it works:

project = BP and resolution = unresolved ORDER BY Rank ASC

You can also check the documentation below for further details about JQL queries:

Search JIRA like a Boss with JQL

Thanks very much! I think this will work. I did not create the original filter so I am unable to modify the filter but I am able to save a new filter with your provided query and that seems to have done the trick. Thank you! 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
October 17, 2018

You are welcome, Garret.

Have a nice day.

Joe Taberna October 18, 2018

Petterson,

Adding the "and resolution = unresolved" to the filter fixes the backlog issue, but it also removes them from the "done" section of the active sprint. 

Is there a way to have them removed from the backlog, but visible in the active sprint?

---Thanks

Like Caitlin Davies likes this
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
October 18, 2018

Hello Joe,

To achieve the behavior you mentioned, other teams usually use two status with resolution (E.g: Done and Closed), where Done is the status that will display in your board and Closed is the final status of the workflow, where the issue is completely closed and does not need to appear in the backlog or board.

then, map only the Done status to the last column of the board and configure your query like this:

project = BP and status != closed ORDER BY Rank ASC

Like # people like this
Doreen Müller October 7, 2019

Hi Petter,

how do you then transition from Done to Closed? We move tickets on the board to the Done status and don't want to touch them again to set them to Closed. 

Lene Lykke Erichsen October 8, 2019

Hi Petter,

Where does the filtered (in this case Closed) tasks end up? Are you able to search for these tasks or are they removed from the project ¨for good¨?

Thanks,

Lene

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
October 17, 2019

Hello @Doreen Müller and @Lene Lykke Erichsen

The idea performing the steps suggested to Joe would be to have a final verification step, where once the issue is done you will perform a verification to confirm that you don't need that issue to appear in your board anymore.

That being said, you can still search for those issues by using a JQL filter in your issue navigator, like:

project = BP and status = closed

Let me know if you still have any questions.

0 votes
Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2020

Just noticed this today!

2020-07-15_9-46-14.png

Deleted user March 19, 2021

That is only in Next-Gen Projects this does not work in Class with a Kanban .

Suggest an answer