Hey, I would like to change a value (rename) in a custom field multiselect list.

Patrik Hoglund February 22, 2024

Will the Filter Queries using the original value (Team) change to new value (Core Team) automatically OR need to update all Filter Queries manually one by one?

Looking forward to your help!

Cheers Patrik

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2024

Hi @Patrik Hoglund 

If I understand your question, you have multiple saved filters which reference a value (e.g. Team) from a multiple-select field, and that value has changed (e.g. Core Team).

You will need to manually update each filter.

To help identify the filters impacted, you could use a browser to call the REST API function to list the filters, and expand to show the JQL: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-filters/#api-rest-api-3-filter-search-get

For example:

yourJiraUrl/rest/api/3/filter/search?expand=JQL

And then search in the results to find the ones to change.

This will list up to 50 filters and can be increased to 100 with the maxResults parameter.  If there are more filters to check, you may page through them with startAt parameter.

Kind regards,
Bill

Patrik Hoglund February 23, 2024

Hi Bill, thanks for helping me. I tried the REST API and found 5 filters that needs to be changed.

Super thanks for swift help.

Have a great day,

Cheers Patrik

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Patrik Hoglund March 6, 2024

Hi Bill, some further questions on the same topic.
In our instance of Jira Cloud we have some 2000+ filters.
-How do I do to step through all filters (as you proposed earlier) making sure I have full coverage in my search of impacted filters? 
-How do I increase the maxResult parameter to 100?

Cheers Patrik

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2024

Your second question is easy to answer: add the maxResults parameter.

yourJiraUrl/rest/api/3/filter/search?expand=JQL&maxResults=100

The more challenging one is paging through blocks of 100 using the startAt parameter.  This is typically done with code in an application or script, although you could do it manually.  For example, progressively increase the parameter and save the results for each:

yourJiraUrl/rest/api/3/filter/search?expand=JQL&maxResults=100&startAt=0

yourJiraUrl/rest/api/3/filter/search?expand=JQL&maxResults=100&startAt=100

yourJiraUrl/rest/api/3/filter/search?expand=JQL&maxResults=100&startAt=200

yourJiraUrl/rest/api/3/filter/search?expand=JQL&maxResults=100&startAt=2000

0 votes
Nikola Perisic
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2024

Hello @Patrik Hoglund 

Filter queries are based on JQL which is representing the board. Are Team and Core Team custom fields?

Patrik Hoglund February 22, 2024

The name of the custom field is Project/Team, its of the type Select List (multiple choices). The list consists of 47 options where the value Team is requested to be changed (renamed) to Core Team.

Suggest an answer