Help with setting up BigGantt

Dirk de Rooij May 4, 2021

So we (a team of 6) have Jira Cloud free plan but need more granularity on Roadmaps and for now can't afford the Premium plan for Advanced Roadmaps.

I thought to try a Gantt app and have just installed the BigGantt. However I'm having no succes in getting this up and running with our already existing project data. We have only one project approx 100 issues..

Question: where and how do I map BigGantt agains this existing project? I can't find any easily interpretable documentation and our project has only default settings.

2021-05-04_13-16-42.jpg

4 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 4, 2021

@Dirk de Rooij

The first step is to create a Program Box in the Overview module. You can do that by clicking the "Add new" or "plus" icon. Please see my image as a reference. 
image - 2021-05-04T143820.556.png
Once it’s done, you will see a green popup with a link to the Scope definition. 
image - 2021-05-04T144133.848.png

When you click on “Configure scope now,” you will be transferred to Scope Definition. So two clicks, and you are in the place where you can define the scope of your Program. You mentioned that you would like to add the Jira Project. Please enter its name in the right field. See my image below. 

image - 2021-05-04T144351.326.png

Please let me know if there are other areas that you would like to discuss :)

Beautiful! This is exactly what I was after and as you said; two clicks and done!
Thanks again for your help and good luck with your products.

Like # people like this
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 5, 2021

Hi @Dirk de Rooij

It was my pleasure. I hope that my answer will be helpful also for other community members :)
If you have further questions regarding building a task structure or initial configuration, just let me know.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
May 4, 2021

Hi @Dirk de Rooij

I am glad that you decided to explore BigGantt. It's a very comprehensive tool that makes project management easier!
In the beginning, I encourage you to watch our tutorial: How to manage Scope.

In case of further questions, just let me know in this thread. I will gladly help you!

Hi @Anna-BigPicture, great that you repond so quickly!
I have watched the tutorial video with interest earlier, but the issue is that I cannot find where I should first configure BigGantt to load or synch with my data. Also the tutorial has the presumption that there is already data showing.. See my screen shot with no data yet whatsoever. I can also not find where I can select to have BigGantt Boxes point to the appropriate Jira Project...

So if you can point me in the right direction, then I'll try to continue from there..

Thanks again!

1 vote
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
May 18, 2021

@Sofi de Zavalía

The simplest way is to create Jira Filter that contained selected epics and their children.

Once a  filter is created and saved in Jira, you can add it to your Program scope in BigGantt (Program Box Configuration >> Tasks >> Scope definition). See my image as a reference.

image - 2021-05-18T192727.657.png

You can use the JQL query:
“issuekey” = EPIC-KEY OR "Epic Link" = EPIC-LINK OR parent in (ISSUE-KEY).

However, if you have a number of epics and stories, we recommend using ScriptRunner. It’s the best way for you to write your own JQL functions.

Here are the results that you can get easily using JQL Search Extensions

• For each epic, all the tasks that have an epic link to it
    issue in childrenOfEpicsInQuery("project = 'Project Key' AND issuetype = Epic")
  • For each epic or task, all the tasks that are subtasks of it
    subTaskOfQuery = "project = 'Project Key' AND issuetype in (Epic, Task)"

Here & here you can find the documentation that may be useful for you.

Sofi de Zavalía May 18, 2021

Muchas gracias! cree el filtro, pero no me figura en biggantt, de todas formas copie el texto del filtro y lo pegué, pero solo puedo ver las 6 épicas que contienen ese texto, como escribo que quiero todas las historias dentro de esas epicas? Muchas gracias por su tiempo!

Captura de pantalla 2021-05-18 a la(s) 15.36.04.png

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this

Ready, I'm going to write "2.0" to all the stories of those epics and put the filter also to search the stories to solve it. Thank you very much for your help!!

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
May 18, 2021

@Sofi de Zavalía

Please let me know did you managed the situation. If not, and you are still searching for a solution, please just let me know! 

I will gladly help you to find the ultimate solution.

Like Sofi de Zavalía likes this

Yes! I was finally able to solve that issue. now I have another problem haha ​​I want to create tasks in gantt but not in my tour, because they are external to my organization but on which the project depends a lot. when I click on create a basic task it doesn't appear anywhere. From already thank you very much!

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
May 19, 2021

@Sofi de Zavalía

Indeed, basic tasks can coexist with other tasks and work great as placeholders or temporary. However, please be informed that by default, they are placed at the very bottom of your task lists.

Building the task structure using the Basic task can only be done manually using drag & drop or indent/outdent arrows.

image - 2021-05-19T193118.727.png

0 votes
Sofi de Zavalía May 17, 2021

Hello! i was have the same problem, and now i have all the tasks, but i cant see the epics and the charge of my resources. Also, i want a few epics on BigGantt, can i filtret that? or delete on BigGantt but not on Jira Cloud?

Thanks for you time

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
May 18, 2021

HI @Sofi de Zavalía

On which module can you not see epics from your scope?

Of course, you can filter the Gantt view by using a simple JQL query: issuetype = Epic or create Quick Filter. 

image - 2021-05-18T164049.310.png

BigPicture is bi-synchronized with Jira, so deleting an issue in BigPicture is equal to deleting it from Jira. However, you can adjust the scope of your Program.

To narrow down the scope and exclude unnecessary issues, use the JQL box (in Box Configuration >> Tasks >> Scope Definition), which uses the "AND" operator in relation to the items listed above. See my explanatory image below. 

image - 2021-05-18T164051.306.png

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi! I can't filter by epics because the epics of my project were not imported.

And how can I make only a couple of epics of my project appear in biggantt? I want to see those epics with their stories and tasks

Captura de pantalla 2021-05-18 a la(s) 12.47.01.png

Suggest an answer