Help with Automation path

Collista Lewingdon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2022

I am trying to create an automation for when any tasks or sub tasks are moved to "in progress" the parent issue or epic also transitions to "in progress". I have created the automation rule seen in the picture but I made it live and it does not work. Can anyone help me figure out what it is not working?

Automation.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2022

Hi @Collista Lewingdon ,

here is one example of a solution. Note the way it is constructed if a subtask is moved to In progress then it's parent story will move to In progress which in turn will cause the Epic to move to In progress. Maybe that is desired and maybe not. 

BAE0A27C-8A46-4AF8-BADD-A421525F41F5.jpeg

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2022

Also, if you want the status to simply "follow" the child then use "copy from trigger issue" rather than specifically choosing In progress status.

Collista Lewingdon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2022

I completely duplicated this automation. Enabled the automation. Made sure it is enabled in the project and STILL it does not seem to work. The audit report makes it seem like it doesn't even work. Any ideas?automation audit.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2022

Please confirm - this rule is set to run against a specific project, and in that project you transitioned an issue to the In Progress status, and the issue you transition was a sub-task.

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2022

Hi @Collista Lewingdon 

Just a heads up for something I noted in your screen captures: This appears to be a global scope rule and you are currently on the Jira Cloud, Standard License level.  Are those correct? 

If so, there is a limit on the number of global rule executions (i.e. rule triggering) based on your license level.  Please look here for more information: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/explore-jira-cloud-plans/

Kind regards,
Bill

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2022

As Trudy and Bill point out, be sure to test the rule example provided in a single project. Let us know the results. 

Like Collista Lewingdon likes this
Collista Lewingdon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2022

I did create the automation rule within a specific project and was able to get it work within that project. So if I am understanding correctly what you are saying is that because I do not have premium I cannot set global level automations and will instead have to create the automation for every project that wants to use it?

Collista Lewingdon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2022
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2022

You can have Global scoped automation rules in Standard subscription, but there is a limit to how many executions of Global rules are allowed.

Referring to the document @Bill Sheboy posted:

"Customers on Free and Standard plans have access to a limited monthly trial allotment of global and multi project rule executions (100 and 500 per month, respectively)."

And that limit would apply collectively to all the Global rules defined in your instance.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2022

Hello @Collista Lewingdon 

Did you try moving a Sub-task to In Progress? And try moving a child issue of an Epic to In Progress?

What is shown in the Audit Log for the rule when it executes? Are the results different depending on which type of issue you change?

Why do you have the "And:Sub-tasks match Status='In Progress' " condition?

Collista Lewingdon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2022

I am trying to get the parent task (either a task or an epic) to match the status of the child-tasks (either a task or sub-task) to match. Meaning when a child tasks moves from "to do" to "in progress" I would also like the parent task to transition to the same status. 

It doesn't even run anything, hence it doesn't work. 

When a parent status does not equal "in progress" but the child tasks do equal "in progress" I want the automation to switch the parent status. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2022

Is this automation for issues in a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project?

Do you want the parent to transition to In Progress if any one of its children transition to In Progress, or do all the children need to be In Progress?

You said the rule doesn't run anything. The Audit Log for the rule should at least show you that the rule was triggered if you transitioned an issue to In Progress in the associated project, and if the rule is turned on and published. Did you transition an issue to In Progress in the related project? Can you show us the Audit Log screen?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events