Help me write a query to search for issues with a Parent Link and specific assignee

Jordin April 23, 2024

I am attempting to create a query that would show a custom issue type that is expected to have a parent link to an epic. Furthermore, I'd like to only see custom issues with a parent link to an epic and a specific user.

Is this possible? I figured I'd save the hours of testing this and just ask the community!

3 answers

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2024

Hi @Jordin,

Laziness is sometimes seen as an attribute of smart people, right 😅 ...

Your question is a bit vague, but something like this should come close:

parent = ABC-2 AND issuetype = Task and assignee = currentUser()

ABC-2 is the key of your epic issue. You should obviously replace Task with your specific issue type and currentUser() with the actual user you are trying to locate. Same with assignee of you are looking for another user custom field.

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2024

Hi @Jordin ~ need some clarification before offering a solution:

1. are you asking to query issues that are children of issues linked to Epics or issues that are directly linked to Epics?
  2. regarding the user component of the search, is the specific assignee that you're searching the assignee of the issue or the linked issue?
0 votes
Ragavendran S April 23, 2024

Hi @Jordin 

Before making the query, could you confirm whether it's possible to filter using the parent link? In my project, we don't have access to filter based on parent links, and it shows an error when attempting to do so.

To confirm, please follow the steps below:

Open search > Basic search > More > Type "parent link"

- If you see an error, you cannot write a query.
- If you can use that field for filtering, you can write a query. Choose the value from the dropdown, switch to Advanced, and copy the JQL.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events