Having different name for the options in list single select

Ravyar Aram July 28, 2022

Hello everyone I'm trying to implement logic on a custom field and the thing that I want to achieve is to have a different name than the value of the custom field 

for example, we have a dropdown list and the first option is ( Option 1 ) for option one I want to set the value to 1 not option 1 but still show (Option 1 ) to the user 

Thanks in advance 

2 answers

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2022

Hi @Ravyar Aram ,

welcome to the Atlassian community!

Jira manage values associated to a select list as a couple id(that is managed internally by jira) and value that is the text of the option.

You have not chance to edit that behaviour.

Fabio

Ravyar Aram July 31, 2022

Thank you for your explanation 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2022

If I understand you correctly do you want to display one thing to the user but have the system interpreted as a different value. That is, the user will see “option 1” however the database entry equates to “1”. Assuming I am understanding correctly unfortunately that is not possible. I’m not sure I understand the use case for why you need this. Maybe if I understood more completely I could offer a different solution but unsure.

Ravyar Aram July 31, 2022

@Jack Brickey for example i have an interval for recurring the issue in the options I want to have something like this ( next day, next week, next month) and i have a script in JWME to change the due date of the issue based on that option and in the script I'm using days for example for next week i want to have the value of 7 for the script to run correctly 

Johnny Hermann May 18, 2023

Basically an enumeration (like in programming).

One example is T-Shirt sizing that maps to a number which can be used in an index formula (like RICE).  So the user sees in the select list {XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL}, but the value set is {1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21} (respectively).  Would be nice if specified all directly in custom field itself.

One alternative is to have two custom fields - one visible and one hidden - where Jira Automation updates the hidden from the visible.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events