Has anyone seen a duplication as a result of their automation rule?

Yufang Vangaasbeek May 16, 2023

I created an automation rule that works flawlessly when a new sprint is created, a task and subtask is created. However, it started duplicating the task and subtask mid month for no reason and there are no triggers from the rule created?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2023

Hi @Yufang Vangaasbeek 

I notice in your rule details that the "Allow Rule Trigger" option is enabled.  Do you have another rule which is creating the sprints...which then in turn triggers the rule creating the issues?

And...are there multiple Scrum boards in this same project, each of which could be triggering the rule?

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Ash Yadav - VMotion IT Solutions
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

Hi @Yufang Vangaasbeek 

Can you post a screenshot of the audit log around the time the automation created the second task and subtask? 

It would give me a bit more information to work off of. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

KR, 

Ash 

Jira-dupe.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

Thanks! 

Not a whole lot to go off of here, but it fired the same rule successfully which leads us somewhere. 

Any chance you could post the automation rule so I can look into it a bit more? 

Maybe there is something there causing it to fire twice. 

KR, 

Ash 

@Ash Yadav - VMotion IT Solutions  Sure. See below. automation rule.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2023

Thanks for sending that on. 

@Bill Sheboy  has highlighted some important points above that could shed some light on this. 

In addition to this, is there any specific pattern as to when the rule fires a second time? 

e.g. Exactly 2 weeks from the first one. 

KR, 

Ash

Yufang Vangaasbeek May 17, 2023

@Bill Sheboy @Ash Yadav - VMotion IT Solutions Great questions. I don't have dependencies with this automation regarding another automation. It sounds like I need to turn off the 'allow rule trigger', right?

This is the first time it has happened and the first 'month' that we initiated this automation. It looks like it triggered on the 18th day. 

The IT scrum board is the only automation rule I have for this type of trigger. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2023

Yes, I recommend disabling "Allow rule trigger" if you do not need it.

Can you confirm there is only one board in the project?  The automation rules are impacted by the entire project, so another board creating a sprint could have triggered the rule.

If you only have one board and cannot see that another sprint was created to trigger the rule, I recommend contacting Atlassian support to see what they say.  They can see logging information users cannot.  You appear to be the site admin for a paid Jira license, and so cannot submit the ticket here: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Yufang Vangaasbeek May 18, 2023

@Bill Sheboy We have multiple boards but the automation is only set up on one specific board. We only create sprints at the end of the month so the duplicate trigger is odd as we didn't create a new sprint during that timeline. Thanks. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2023

Thanks for confirming that, @Yufang Vangaasbeek and I recommend contacting the support team (at the link I provided earlier) to see what they say.  When you hear back from them post what you learn to benefit the entire community.  Thanks!

Yufang Vangaasbeek May 22, 2023

@Bill Sheboy The Support Team found the root cause. Someone accidentally opened and closed out/deleted the respective project sprint which triggered the creation of the automation. The team couldn't pinpoint the user who did it so I guess it will still be a partial mystery. Thanks for all your help!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events