HTTP outdated

Tshepol May 25, 2021

Your content is served using outdated HTTP protocols. We recommend serving pages using HTTP/2 or newer to improve performance for users. Your navigation protocol is HTTP/1.1 and the resource protocol is HTTP/1.1.

I need assistance upgrading the following config.We do not use load balancer. Both apps for Jira and Confluence are hosted independently on servers and a seperate Database server.

Is this something one does under the app admin settings and we restart the services for the apps after?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2021

It's nothing to do with the applications themselves, they don't choose how to serve up their pages.  The Tomcat containers they run in serve the protocols.

Unless you are using very very old versions which are running on Tomcats that only have the older protocols, then the problem is in your network, not with Jira, Confluence or their Tomcats.  You need to fix the proxy they are running behind (I would say "or load balancer" but you've said you don't have one), or upgrade them to versions that are less than a decade old.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2021
Tshepol May 25, 2021

Must i upgrade the Jira and Confluence to the latest version?

Jira is on 8.15.0 and Confluence is on 7.1.1.1

The health notification came after we restarted the services. I restarted the services for Database,Jira and Confluence in this sequence.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2021

No, there's no need to upgrade, those versions are not a problem (I mentioned old versions for completeness because it has happened before - people talking about issues in Confluence 1 or Jira 2 without telling us the version is not unknown)

Those versions confirm that the problem is in your network, not the services.  It's almost certainly the proxy in front of the Jira and Confluence.

Tshepol May 25, 2021

Do you have any recommendations of what i can check on the network besides the Proxy?Is there any links that Atlassian have on checking this

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2021

Please see the link I gave earlier for the Atlassian docs.

I can't tell you how your network works, or what your network admins might have inflicted on it to do this downgrade.  The only way I know of doing this is to route through a proxy or load balancer that is configured to do it.  I guess you could also do this downgrade with a firewall or routing table, but I'm not a network engineer and I don't know how else you might do it.

Suggest an answer