Guideline is not corrected when adding issues to sprint after sprintstart

Thomas Soring August 19, 2014

Hi,

when adding issues to a sprint, which has already been started, the guideline at the burndown chart will not be corrected.

So when the sprint has 0 issues at the start and i will add 5 issues with several story points, the guideline is not corrected and will stay at the buttom of the graph (at 0 story points).

Is this a know bug or a desired behavior?

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Soring August 26, 2014

Answer from Atlassian:

"This is actually an expected behaviour for the Burndown Chart Guidelines to be flat in the bottom of the char., The reason of this behaviour is because the estimated of the sprint should be already decided before the start of the sprint, if there is a scope changes such as the estimation changes or another story included in the sprint while the sprint already started, the guideline will same stays. I believe that the guideline changes is to prevent confusion to the team who looked at the board, as the scope changes after the sprint started is not recommended.

I might not able to explain it clearly, but there is a bug ticket that have been raised for this in which include the comment/answer of this behaviour:

I hope this could clarify it and thank you for your patience."

Dinghao_Zeng August 9, 2018

But still there still cases where I need to the change the guideline - adding capacity:

1. one cancel his/her vacation, or

2. add more devs into the sprint.

In these cases, how can I move the guideline up for certain amount of time to reflect the capacity increase?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2018

You cannot change the guideline after sprint starts. Any changes in estimation will be recorded as churn as it should be. The guideline is a static capture of the plan at the time of commit. 

15 votes
David Balcaen November 3, 2016

Some of us aren't perfect, don't have time to prepare the Sprint properly and it happens the MORNING after the sprint started.  So I get a guideline in the burndown chart that reflects this.  Sure , its my bad and I am not playing by the "rules".  It is the real world or at least my reality.  So what I would really like is a button that RECALCULATES the  guideline whenever I want to.  

In my world things change, I don't like it all the time but it would be great to be able to adapt on the fly with changing resources and tasks that happen for whatever reason. 

0 votes
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2014

It is working properly.

You should not have started the Sprint with zero story points if you expect any value from the burndown chart.

Yavor Hristov June 11, 2019

Real life happens, people get ill, customer changes their opinion, a hurricane, etc... you should be able to recalculate.

Aron Silan December 17, 2019

100% agree. Theory and reality are completely different. Maybe atlassian should consider taking feedback from people using this tool in an ever changing environment where tickets do get added/updated during a sprint! 

Suggest an answer