Greenhopper - Agile Board - Developer work load.

Morten Schmidt August 28, 2012

Hi

We are trying to adopt the new Agile Board however i dont quite get how to quickly view each employees workload.
Maybe this is not the purpose of the Agile Planning Board ? But the old board made this quite easy.

7 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Reust January 1, 2013

I don't think we need to get all theoretical about scrum best practices. Simple fact, it would be useful to see the story points assigned on a per person basis during planning and during the sprint in general.

Yes, it's up to the team to not let this devalue the sprint as a team goal. But for example, it would be useful for me as a manager to make sure certain people don't pull off too much work for themselves.

If I wanted to use a tool that forced a philosophy on me I'd use Pivotal Tracker; Jira + Greenhopper should give me the ability to view this data quickly.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2013

Probably you should start reading http://www.scrumalliance.org/articles/52-empowering-teams-the-scrummasters-role

It is natural to tend towards ScrumBut but we should try our best to stick to the original concepts and principles.

I would say, trying to control how team's tries to do the work, will eventually result in a disfunctional team and the sprint goal becomes a managers goal rather than a team goal. And there is no concept of story points assigned to a member. It is always a team velocity that is measured rather than an individual velocity. And that value has only meaning in Release planning, not for any other purpose like comparing teams.

Just an opinion.

2 votes
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2012

Do you know about the user workload report? Go to the project page and select the reports menu, it's the first one. More info at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/User+Workload+Report

2 votes
Doron Gutman November 17, 2012

This is a must for us as well - I have a multi-functional team, with developers from various technologies.
As the scrum master, I have to know if each member of the team is over/under committed, and I can't understand how to do it using the new boards.

1 vote
Morten Schmidt November 19, 2012

We have ended up using the planning board, but making filters for every employee, we need to me able to see the alottet workload while planning, we estimate 1 week of work for all of our employees every two weeks.

The filtering works, but is not as convinient as the old planning board which had employee grouping built in.

1 vote
Andre Brissette November 18, 2012

Another good way as a Scrum Master to know if a team member is over/under commited is to simply ask him at the daily meeting :-)

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 25, 2012

And in pure scrum methods there is never an upfront planning of tasks of to individuals. It is a common backlog (I mean the sprint backlog) and all the team members works towards burning it down. At any given point in time, there should not be more that 1-2 tasks with an individual. If everything is being pre-fixed at sprint planning it is a very bad practice which will slow down the team as a whole. Members start worrying only about their tasks creating silos and forgetting about the sprint goal for the team as a whole

0 votes
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2012

A (rapid) board in work mode can work the same as the old task board. You can configure the same columns to show for example. Have you tried this?

Suggest an answer