Global automation rule works in one project but not the other

Thembisa Ndlamlenze December 9, 2021

Hi there

Why would a global rule work in 1 project and not the other?

The rule does the following:

When the status changes to 'in progress' in one of the projects, the status in the service management project/workflow must change to 'development'. The rule works for 1 project but not the others. Here is the rule 

Screenshot 2021-12-09 140928.png

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2021

Hi Thembisa,

Are there any conditions or validators on the transition to Development for the workflow attached to the project that is not working? 

Are the projects using the same or different workflows? 

Thembisa Ndlamlenze January 4, 2022

Hi John

Sorry for the delayed response, I was on leave.

All projects are using the same workflow and there are no predefined validators to or from that development status

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2022

What does the audit log say when you do one for that project?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2022

Hi @Thembisa Ndlamlenze 

One more question to try to help: is this rule for company-managed or team-managed projects, or both?

Kind regards,
Bill

Hi Bill

All projects are company managed

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2022

Thanks for that information. 

Repeating John's request: would you please post an image of the audit log details, showing what happens for the rule for that project that doesn't work as you expect?

Thembisa Ndlamlenze January 6, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy  @John Funk  @Fabian Lim 

Below is the error I was getting. I haven't touched the rule since I left (I checked config changes in case anyone else did) but I just tested now and it suddenly works, not sure what happened. Do you have any idea?

Screenshot 2022-01-06 143646 error.png

Screenshot 2022-01-06 143401 success.png

Thanks all for your help by the way

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2022

Thanks, @Thembisa Ndlamlenze 

One cause of that error is when the transitioning issue does not have the selected status in its workflow.  For example, when the source issue (of the status) is a different issue type than the destination one.  Have you checked if there have been changes to workflow for the destination issue's Issue Type?

The other cause I have seen for this error is when there are multiple statuses defined with a Status Name (and so they have different Status ID values).  The transition is trying to use one that is not supported by the destination issue type's workflow.

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2021

Hi @Thembisa Ndlamlenze

Welcome to the community.

Have you checked the audit logs and see if there are any error messages?

Regards 

Thembisa Ndlamlenze December 9, 2021

Thanks Fabian

Error

Destination status could not be resolved. If using a smart-value ensure this resolves to a numeric status ID or untranslated name for issues (with current status):

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2021

Most likely the ticket that you are trying to transition does not have a transition to the development state. Make sure that the workflows are the same.

Also, make sure that whoever is executing the rule also has permissions to transition the ticket.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Hi Fabian

Sorry for the delayed response, I was on leave.

All projects are using the same workflow and yes I have permissions

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events