Give external users access to project( public) automatically/default when they sign up

Tenzing Doleck December 15, 2022

Hello-

I have one project in my site out of several that I am making public. 

External users will have the ability view issues in the project , create tickets and make comment only for tickets in that public project. 

When they sign up - what is the suggested setting so that they get default acess to project immediately once they sign up. 

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2022

Hello @Tenzing Doleck 

Is the project a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? It will say at the bottom of the navigation pane on the left when you are viewing the project, or you can also find that information when looking at the View All Projects page.

Tenzing Doleck December 16, 2022

@Trudy Claspill  company managed

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2022

In the Product Access settings for your site, do you automatically grant new users access to the Jira Software product? If so, they will automatically get added to the Default Access Group for the product for the site. I think you should be able to use that group to grant permissions to the specified project within Jira.

If you are not a Site Admin for your Jira product, you may need to escalate that question to your Site Admins.

Tenzing Doleck December 21, 2022

@Trudy Claspill 

I want them to only get default  view for issues in this specific project. 

Other projects, kanban boards, dashboards remain private. 

How would the default access group work so it doesn't muddle permission for internal users who have access to everything 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2022

You would need to limit the use of the default access group for granting permissions in Jira to match what you want to give to the external users.

You would need to set up additional group(s) to use to grant permissions to everything else and assign your internal users to those groups. How you manage that would depend on how you manage your internal users. If you have your Atlassian environment using and external Directory for authentication, then maybe you manage the groups and memberships for internal users there.

This is the only method I can think of that will automatically and immediately grant access to the project for your external users upon sign up, without manual intervention.

There may be other methods of which I am not aware, for Company Managed projects.

An alternative is to use a Team Managed project and set the Access for it to Open or Limited. Refer to https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/next-gen-permissions/

Like Tenzing Doleck likes this
Tenzing Doleck December 22, 2022

Thank you!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events