Getting the 'resolution' field in team managed projects

Phil McTimoney July 9, 2021

Can the resolution field be added to team managed projects, along with the functionality to prompt for a value when closing an issue?

I know I can add a new field if I need it. The functionality I'm familiar with from other versions of Jira would be appreciated though.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2021

Disclaimer: I do not use TMP in my day-to-day activities and the underlying functionality changes very frequently so I may miss something.

With that said, in TMP projects the resolution concept is built-in to the process. You don’t have the flexibility that CMP provides where a user can have multiple resolution codes and select which one fits the bill. As you said you could create a custom drop down field and fill it in with some drop-down value. However there is underlying logic in CMP in TMP. What specific capability of the CMP resolution field are you looking to achieve? I just wonder if maybe there’s a way to solve it with automation or something else.

Phil McTimoney July 9, 2021

Great question - why am I asking for this? I should have stated that up-front.

What I was trying to do was to have a 'defer' status.

• I have found that projects get over-run with suggestions that we would like to do one day but have no realistic chance of completing in the foreseeable future. This makes the backlog look depressingly-long and unfocused.
  • I have tried to stay on stop of this in the past by using the defer status, and hiding this status from board filters.
  • When I added a defer status to a team managed project, it seemed that I had to created a column in the board to show issues in this status, which is the opposite of what I was hoping to accomplish :)
  • So my train of thought went to just closing these issues but marking them as 'deferred' rather than completed.

Now I am typing this out...I am wondering if a solution is to create a whole separate project for deferred issues. Boards are easy to create and I would just be creating a parking lot for issues.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2021

I think your solution of a separate project is a reasonable one. Basically it’s a parking lot. I have done similar in the past and of course the parking lot become so for I end up painting over it and building and parking deck. LOL

1 vote
edburns January 29, 2022

Where is it stated that the Resolution field, which is very fundamental to issue tracking, is not exposed in a TMP?  If I had known that, I would have created a CMP from the outset.

As a workaround, I just use labels.  In my case, the resolution I wanted to set was Won't Do, but since I can't set the resolution in a TMP anyway, I just created a label called Dropped. I am not 100% satisfied with this resolution for the Resolution field, but I am learning to accept my experience with JIRA will not be 100% satisfactory.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2022

another option is to create a Won't Do status.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events