Getting an error when I click on it Jira software board access..!?

Jineesh V September 27, 2021

Hi Team,

I have given access to the user for the Jira software board, but their telling they are getting error  like this It seems this board doesn't have an assigned location. You can ask your board administrator to assign it to a project or user.”

I have checked the assigned location for the board and that I can see.

Could you please tell me the remedy.

Thanks

5 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jineesh V December 29, 2021

non of the above ...  I found the project created in child page that why it could not be accessible. 

Hector Viveros February 21, 2022

I have the same problem. 
But I don't know what is a "child page"
How did you solved it ?

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2021

Hi Jineesh,

Can you share a screenshot of the location in the board settings?

Also, what type of project is this? 

Jineesh V October 4, 2021

Yes, I can see the location on the board settings.. and also other added member can access with out getting this error message.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2021

What project is being used for the Location? It sounds like it might be that the users don't have Browse Project permissions for the Project used in the Location field. 

image001.png

the above screen shot they have shared with me. but in that project other members also can access. I have checked their roles which is added same like others. I have created Developer role and assigned to it all members. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2021

Make sure the users have access to the project that is used in the location because it’s probably different than the projects used in the filter.

Yes, I have checked and confirmed that have already access to this project.

why its caused to Board not accessible?

Hi John Funk,

Any solution is possible on my query.. pls let me know

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2021

So can you give me some details without including sensitive information? Such as

1. the actual board filter details 

2. The project in the location field of the board

3. Who (roles/groups, etc.) that the board filter is shared with

Like Vibhor Dubey likes this

Key: HCCU

Name: HSBC corporate content update (HCCU)

Type: Company-managed Software

Actually board filter :  Filter for HCCU board

Project share: HSBC corporate content update

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2021

So I don't understand the Project share part. Is that a group? Everything else looks fine. 

Is there any Issue Level Security?

I still think it is a problem with the sharing of the filter. 

Like # people like this
Jineesh V October 5, 2021

Issue security is currently not enabled for this project.

Jineesh V October 5, 2021

Why its project shared, because earlier time we got some others can not access the projects, I think so. 

If the problem is coming from the sharing of the filter then it could be affect to all other users  right.?

Jineesh V October 8, 2021

Hi,

Anyone can helping me on here Board access issue..

Thanks

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2021

It depends on who it is shared with. In the project shares - is that a group? Or what is HSBC corporate content update? 

Jineesh V October 8, 2021

Where I can check if the users are working in multiple projects ?

now I am checking settings one other guy who have already get accessed for this project, here I can see this guy who have already added in the jira-software-projects groups and the rest of who have don't access for this project they are added in different group.

Suppose if I changed their group in to the the jira-software-projects groups what will happen the all jira software projects have accessible to them or how? which means if they are working in multiple projects?

pls let me know if you could not understand this then I can explain more..

burns_beaver December 27, 2021

@John Funk Any insight here? I am having the exact same issue on a project. The filter permissions seem quite inconsistent

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2021

Hi @Jineesh V  - sorry, I never saw your response above. The jira-software-projects group is not a standard group created with your instance. So that means it was added by a Jira Adminisrator for your instance. 

So, that means that I have no idea how that group is used. It is most likely a generic group used to grant access to users to the standard projects in your instance. So if you take a user out of that group, they will probably lose access to any number of projects. But that might be what you want in this case.

The best think I can tell you is try it and see. It is easy enough to add them back to the group and no data should be lost. 

@burns_beaver  - without seeing details it is hard to tell you. But you should go through the permission scheme attached to the project and use the permission helper to see if the user has access to a particular permission - probably Browse Project is a good one. 

Then do the same thing on other projects that the user should not have access to. 

Like Andrés Felipe Urrea G_ likes this
Jineesh V December 28, 2021

Hi @ John Funk - the highlighted issue has resolved already. Thanks for your time to look and discuss about this.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 29, 2021

Great! Can you click on the Accept Answer above to close this one out? Thanks!

3 votes
Dillon September 27, 2021

Are they able to view the filter that the Software Board is using? If the filter is set to private, they won't be able to see/access the board.

Jineesh V September 27, 2021

How can I check this is set to private or not?

Dillon September 28, 2021
Jineesh V October 3, 2021

Hi,

actually this project can see the other members in the same project. only a specific members are not accessible..

Below mentioned is the error message he is getting:-
"Board not accessible
It seems this board doesn’t have an assigned location.
You can ask your board administrator to assign it to a project or user"
Like djones likes this
Diana Bulanda May 11, 2022

check-in project settings if users have added access for Company managed projects (if they are just developers of PM will don't have access) if it is a company managed project 

Lucas Powell June 27, 2023

This is exactly what fixed it for me. Board was created from a filter and the filter was set to only be visible to me. Went into the filter > Details > Edit Permissions and set it to be visible to the org and it fixed the issue.

Like lapacquah_bryant likes this
2 votes
Steven Gillies September 14, 2022

This happened to me, couldnt find a board I use all the time (not in Project board drop down, not in Board list, only 1 board showing for project when there should have been 2). Everyone else on my team could see it. One of them linked me the board URL and I got a pop up saying "Board not accessible, it seems this board does not have an assigned location".

One of my team added themself as an admin to the board to try to help fix and suddenly it worked. He didn't do anything else, just the act of adding himself as an admin seemed to fix it. Seems like a bug.

1 vote
Jeff Burton October 20, 2022

We had a user with this error.  Our issue was a newly created saved filter was set to private.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events