Getting a total of story points for various issue types

Charles Cain April 6, 2021

Working with an organization that added an issue type of New Feature. They then link the Story issue type to that.

The request is how to find out the total story point count per New Feature issue type in a specific project.

Example would be New Feature A has a "Relates To" link to Story A, B, and C. Story A may have 5 story points, Story B has 8 story Points, and Story C has 2 story points. Therefore New Feature A would have 3 stories with a total story point count of 15 story points.

Repeat for all other New Features in that project.

Do have ScriptRunner installed so was using the aggregrateExpression function looking at the sum of the story point. Here is the JQL that I have been trying to get it to work:

project = XXXXX and issuetype in ("New Feature") AND issueLinkType in ("relates to") AND issueFunction in aggregateExpression("Total Story Points Estimate for New Feature", "StoryPoints.sum()")

Problem is when I specify the project, I get a total of zero. When I remove project from the query, I get a total across ALL projects.

Ideas please?

1 answer

0 votes
John Chin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2021

Hi @Charles Cain 

The calculation based on the issues showing up on the query. If you see some issues are missing from the query result after specify the project, it will affects the total results. 

John Chin

Charles Cain April 7, 2021

That's just it... If I don't filter on the project, I get results. When I filter on a project, even if the project has features that have stories with story points, I get no results at all. It's almost as if when I filter on a project, it disregards the rest of the query.

Suggest an answer