Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sign up Log in
Deleted user
0 / 0 points
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Getting a Internal Server Error when trying to view sub-tasks in a list

Hi there,

I am new to Jira, but am trying to set things up before we implement for the entire team. Everything seemed to be fine until yesterday - then I had to change a next-gen project to a classic project. The process involved moving all tasks, sub-tasks, etc. into a new project. Since then, whenever I try to view my tasks or sub-tasks through a 'filter' I get a Internal Server Error. The tasks are visible on the kanban board and inside the backlog view.

If anyone can help, please advise.



1 answer

0 votes

Hello @Raj Mehta ,

Thanks for reaching out, and I would be happy to take a look to see what I can find for you.

First, I just wanted to verify that you followed the process outlined in the following KB article when migrating the issues between the two project types, let me know if you took different steps to accomplish the project type migration:

Next to get some additional context on the error can you please either Post the exact context of the error message you are seeing or grab a screenshot of the error you are seeing so I can check it out.


Hi Earl,

Yes, I followed those steps - but instead of migrating everything at once, I went through epic by epic and story by story from the next gen project to the classic project.  I am attaching some screenshots of what I see in the Advanced filter screen. 


The problem is I see sub-tasks in the primary list i.e. without any filters. When I try to filter via sub-tasks I see an error, when I change the 'status' to 'waiting' which is a new one I had setup, it shows an internal error. 


In the original screen, i see 5 pages of results i.e. 50 items per page ~250 items total. when I click on any of the pages 3,4,5, it shows an internal error.  If I try to refresh the screen I seem a 500 error. 


Clearly something has gone wrong in this transition but I am not sure what to do to fix this. Capture-4.PNGCapture-3.PNGCapture-2.PNGCapture-1.PNG 

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this

Hello @Raj Mehta ,

Thanks for the info, and I did a bit of digging through your instance logging and I can see several mentions of a "java.lang.IllegalStateException", but no direct indicator for the exact cause.

However, this behavior looks similar to an older bug that was fixed in previous versions and triggered an error in an alternate section of the UI when there was an invalid linked status in a workflow and I believe this may have a related cause although the behavior is being triggered in a different way.

As a reference point, this KB shows the older issues, noting that a lot of the content is directly for the Server platform and would not apply to the Cloud platform for diagnosis steps and fixing the issue, but as a quick check can you navigate to the workflow for the new project and see if there is a red question mark under the linked status column in the workflow like this:

 Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 5.01.30 PM.png

Let me know what you find, and we will move on to the next steps to try and clear this up.


Hi Earl,

Checked the 'active' workflow for the project and not seeing any similar to the one example you showed above.  See screenshot attached.Capture-5.PNG

One odd finding on my end - if I filter out tasks via 'advanced filter' in list view, I am seeing the errors I shared above, but while looking at the 'detailed view' the results do show up. 


Hey @Raj Mehta ,

We will need to take a closer look at your instance and do a bit more digging to find the root cause of this issue, So I created a support request on your behalf.

Please let me know if you have any issues accessing the request:


Thanks Earl. 

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Site Admin
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

⚡️NEW Group for Confluence Cloud Admins

Calling all Confluence Cloud Admins!  We created a new Community Group to support your unique needs as Confluence admins. This is a group where you can ask questions, access resou...

90 views 2 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you