1) Okay, is Jira - Agile something that I install or something that log into (web based)?
2) I tried following the instructions under "GETTING STARTED WITH YOUR NEW ADD ON" but they didn't make any sense. I downloadeda .jar file. The next step in the instructions was "Open your Atlassian JIRA application and log in."
3) What's an instance in Jira? I tried googling this question and couldn't. Is an instance just your bug/software management stuff, or does it provide actual hosting for your software the way an Amazon EC2 Instance does?
1) Jira is an issue tracker. "Jira - Agile" is an add-on which provides more functions within Jira. So, if you log into a Jira system, it might have Agile in it, but it might not. If it does, then your Jira login handles the plugin as though it were part of Jira, not something else with an additional login
I think one point of confusion here might be that Jira is something you can dowload and run yourself (something I install), OR you can ask someone to host it for you (in which case, it's a web based thing you log into)
2) Whatever type of Jira you are using, you should use the Plugin/Addon manager to install plugins. Forget about jars/donwloads/uploads. Use Admin -> Addons
3) An instance is, well an instance. Someone installs a Jira on server X, there's an instance there. Another installation on server Y is another instance. (The comparison to EC2 is pretty much irrelevant, Jira is a system that does something. EC2 is a platform for apps)
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.Save your spot