Getting Started With Kanban Board in JIRA

Robert Fishel March 21, 2019

Hello.  I have been tasked with creating a standard operating procedure document for my team about the Kanban board in JIRA.  We already have the board setup, so I am trying to find existing documentation that outlines how to create a new card, and all of the features and things to consider when using our board.  Does anyone know of a good resource?  I tried searching the Help documentation but don't see what I am looking for.  Also, is there any way to capture time savings in JIRA?  My initial research leads me to believe that the only solution is tying another program to JIRA, which I don't want to do.  Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2019

Re: Kanban - is this something you're looking for? Like a training document?

https://www.atlassian.com/agile/kanban

Re: time savings - do you mean how much time a user saves using Kanban/Jira versus some other tool?

Robert Fishel March 22, 2019

Alex, thank you for your reply.  We are using the next-gen version of Kanban, so I am not sure about the link that you included.  Is there a site that walks you through using the next-gen Kanban boards - how to make cards and different options/settings?  As for the time savings, we were previously using a product called Kanban Flow which allowed us to export the populated values from certain self-created fields.  For example, if we made a field called "Time Saved" on our individual Kanban cards, there was a way to export a report that listed the values in that field, which could be exported to Excel.  Anything like that - any kind of reporting from Kanban in JIRA?  Thanks.

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2019

Ah, gotcha. I haven't had the opportunity to really use much of the next-gen projects in Jira Cloud. I'm pretty much working in Data Center exclusively. :)

This only docs I know of that might be helpful are here. Next-gen projects are SUPER new, so I don't think they have any training docs as in depth as some of their other training docs like I already linked to. Probably, Atlassian wants to go through a few iterations of next-gen projects and functionality before making a training like that in case any major changes get introduced.

Re: the "Time Saved" field - I'm still not 100% sure I follow on this one. If you're just looking to be able to create custom fields, save manual user input, and have the ability to export to a spreadsheet, that should be doable from the issue navigator, but like I said, I don't have a Cloud instance available to test. Is this what you're looking for, or are you looking for specific functionality around that "Time Saved" field you used to have in KanbanFlow?

Suggest an answer