Getting Field is mandatory for field that is not included in the screen

Narayanan Subramanian December 10, 2014

Hi,

I have 3 different projects in JIRA and different schema associated with each. I have used a field called "Labels" in one of the project but not used this on the other two.

For one of the project I don't see any issue while submitting the issue but for the other it says its mandatory. Earlier I got similar issue for a custom field which I was able to resolve by configuring it to point to only one project. But this is not a custom field so I am not able to do any thing about this. I have tried to take of all the screens associated with this, and I was able to submit the issue successfully. 

But still when I go to the issue I was able to see the Label field still there without any value. The same is happening for another field as well "Time Tracker".

image2014-12-10 19:48:0.png

image2014-12-10 19:49:41.png

image2014-12-10 19:46:32.png

3 answers

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2014

I guess all your three projects are using the same screen scheme or view screen .

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2014

Forget about "screens".

You need to look at the "field configuration" - that carries the mandatory / optional flags.  The screens have nothing to say about whether a field is optional or mandatory.  You'll need a field configuration for each set of different mandatory/optional flags that you want on fields

Narayanan Subramanian December 10, 2014

Guys,

As I said, yes I tried field configuration and I fully understand that the issue is not with respect to screens at all. But please note this is not a custom field that I am using and I don't see any option to configure a field which is not custom. Do we have any options to configure a non custom field? Please refer my screenshots below. I can see configure option for custom fields but for for system default fields.

image2014-12-11 9:13:29.png

image2014-12-11 9:17:3.png

Cheers

Narayanan P.S.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2014

ALL the fields are listed in the field configurations. The only field you cannot make optional is "summary" I've no idea what you think you're looking at, because a field configuration lists all fields.

Narayanan Subramanian December 11, 2014

Nic, I am looking at the same field configuration you are mentioning and I am able to see all the fields on the configuration. I have just cut that specific field alone on the screenshot and pasted it here to show that the configure option for the system default field is not available. Please go through my question again. I am not concerned about how to make the field optional or mandatory which I know how to do. But I 'm concerned about why the field being visible post submitting an issue even though it is not included for the project and as the field is not an custom field its not configurable.

Narayanan Subramanian December 11, 2014

I am sorry, probably my question is misleading "Getting Field is mandatory for field that is not included in the screen". It should be "Field displayed post the issue is created which is not part of the project"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2014

Yes, it's been confusing me. To hide system fields, you can use the field configuration option of "hide".

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2014

Requiring fields at creation is done in the field configuration scheme for the project/issue type combination. It is handled by a plugin if required during a transition. It could be the jira-suite-utilities or behavior plugin.

Suggest an answer