Formatting Markdown in Automations

cj August 25, 2020

I have a webhook with data that contains markdown that I'd like to update a particular field with. This field is already setup to render "wiki" content and I can apply markdown within the field itself on any relevant issue.

In our automation, this markdown does not seem to get applied. For instance, I might have

check out this `thing`

as the content to update the field with. In a normal scenario, I'd expect `thing` to turn into an inline code block. Instead it gets rendered as it's shown.

Is there any way to force the text to be formatted in markdown instead?

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2020

Hi @cj  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Did you figure this out yet?  If not...

The markdown is impacted by the field editors and the view chose, old or new versions.  Please check with your site admin if the field editors have been altered.  And here is the documentation on what markdown works for the old and new views:

Old issue views: https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspa?section=all

New issue views: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/markdown-and-keyboard-shortcuts/

Best regards,
Bill

sebastien.devarennes November 23, 2021

I am having the same issue and your response doesn't help in that regard. The issue is when adding or editing a comment from inside the automation flow.

The markdown is coming from webhookdata

Like # people like this
Soporte Atl September 1, 2022

Hi there,

Same problem here today.

It seems the markdown syntax doesn't work if you use it inside a comment inserted with automation.

Regards,

M

Like Jawann Swislow likes this
Ben Thomas November 2, 2022

I am also facing the same problem.

Jeff Kolb November 4, 2022

I was having a similar issue but it turned out that changing the renderer for the custom field made the markdown work as expected.  This is what I am setting the field value to in the automation.  The first line now displays in italics.

_Status Archived at: {{now.convertToTimeZone("America/Chicago").shortDateTime}}_

{{fieldChange.fromString}}

Suggest an answer