For label is it possilble to set a default value

Subhash GM April 10, 2020

hi  for jira for cloud is it possible to set a default value  ?  if yes what are the steps to be followed ?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2020

Hi @Subhash GM 

You can not set a default value for the label. It is not possible without any help from an extra plugin. Label fields don't have this function.

There are two ways you can achieve it.

1. Modify the workflow to apply the label on creation. You will need JIRA Suite Utilities for this to work. (see information below)
  2. Use the Script Runner plugin if you own it to apply the label.

MODIFY WORKFLOW STEPS

Edit the workflow->"create transition" to add a post function to the create step. 

You can not edit labels as a field directly so you will need to add your label-name to a temp custom field that is a text string.

Add another post function that copied this field to the labels field

Clear the temp custom field value.

If you want to use a script runner plugin then below is the instruction to use it.

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/index.html

I tried the first solution before, if you will go with the first solution then there is no need to use an extra plugin.

Subhash GM April 11, 2020
  1. Thanks Steve this helps 

2. On another note are the re any dos-a don't for jira_confluence_for standalone tgat-may-be followed ?

Would appreciate any help 

hi steve.  it dis not seem to work IN JIRA CLOUD ...

Also is project automation option available in the data center version-i do not think so ?

Many thanks for yr assistance

regards

hi steve.  it does not seem to work IN JIRA CLoud 

Also is project automation option available in the data center version-i do not think so ?

Many thanks for yr assistance

regards

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2020

Hi @Subhash GM

There is another option without a plugin as you're on Cloud - Automation.

There are two types of automation:

• Global: In the Free version, you get 100 executions per product, per month
  • Project: In all versions, you get unlimited executions per month

For example, to create a project-level rule:

1. Go to Project Settings > Project Automation (on left-hand menu)
  2. Press Create Rule in top-right corner
  3. Select the Trigger "Issue Created" and press Save
  4. Next Select to add an Action, and choose "Edit Issue"
  5. Select the field Label
  6. Select the options icon (3-dots) - and choose "Add/remove values"
  7. Enter the value you want as a default and press Save
  8. Name your Automation and turn it on

Now when each issue is created, it will add the desired default label as long as the issue is created in that project. You might need to refresh the page after each issue creation to see it.

You can do this via global rules to apply to all projects also. You'll need to be a Jira Admin/Site Admin, then instead of going to Project Settings, go to Jira Settings (cog icon on left-hand navigation bar) > System > Automation Rules (left-hand menu).

See more on using automation on these help pages.

Ste

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2020

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_  I like this one. @Subhash GM  you should go with this solution. It is very simple to implement.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2020

Hi @Subhash GM

Responding under my question as it appears you're referring to it - have you tried the above? Or are you using @Monika Rani 's suggestion?

It does work in Cloud - I built the scenario in a Cloud instance before writing it here - where does it appear not to function?

Automation is available in Data Center but not natively - it's a paid add-on. See: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215460/automation-for-jira-server?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview

Ste

Subhash GM April 22, 2020

Hi Steve, Yes I tried again earlier this week on cloud and it works ok 

However, owing to some architectural changes we are now constrained to try this out in the datacenter version

Thanks again for your assistance 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2020

No worries @Subhash GM 

You can use Automation in Data Center, albeit it's a paid application rather than built in :)

Ste

Jarosław Solecki _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 26, 2023

This is a really nice workaround. Of course, the problem with that solution is that it works after the issue creation. It may result in having that default value where it should be removed. 

I think that was the only reasonable solution for years. Thank to Forge you can now apply Default Value for native fields at create screen with a plugin like Dynamic Forms for Jira

Cheers

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events