For Zephyr Tests migrated from on premise Jira to Jira in Cloud test details field is missing

yogesh_devi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2022

Hello ,

We migrated atlassian JIRA project that has test cases written using the Zephyr squad plugin  to JIRA cloud .  I do thave the Zephyr squad plugin enagbled .. I however do not see the "test details " field in migrated issues  nor do I see it in when I try to create a new test case . 

Any idea why is it so .. do I need an additional plugin for that or is that a configuration ?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Luzia Mendes [SmartBear] December 5, 2022

Hi there!

Glad to know you are moving to the Cloud with Zephyr Squad.

Please refer to the steps in our public documentation to learn how to move Zephyr data. The test cases are Jira issues and will be migrated as part of Jira, for the other Zephyr objects, you will need to follow the steps in this guide.

As you need to migrate Zephyr in the same migration plan as Jira, that means that you will need to delete and re-run the migration for the projects you have done so far.

Do not hesitate to raise a support ticket with us, and we will take a closer look at your case.

Best regards,
Luzia Mendes
Zephyr Squad Cloud Migrations Manager.

yogesh_devi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2022

Hello @Luzia Mendes [SmartBear] sincere  thanks for your response.  I will redo the migration with steps sggested in https://support.smartbear.com/zephyr-squad-server/docs/get-started/cloud-migration-guide/via-jcma.html and will post my results here ; please allow me some time to confirm and accept your response 

And while I have your audience can you also help me with a related Zephyr Squad question, we have installed We have installed Zephyr Suqad Version :1.3.17-AC in the Atlassian cloud JIRA 

With that done  - I create a new test case in JIRA  ( issue type "test" ) - however I do NOT see the "Test Details" field like I see on my on-premise JIRA. Can you please advise on steps to take so see this field in the newly created test case 

( I actually created a separate question https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/test-details-not-visible-in-zephyr-test-cases-in-the-Jira/qaq-p/2209672#M559647  so it helps someone specifically looking for "Test Details" on new Test issues created in JIRA cloud - can you please post your answer there ?

Thanks  for your help 

Luzia Mendes [SmartBear] December 6, 2022

Hi!

After installing Zephyr, it is supposed to provide a Test issue type and, with that, all the related Zephyr entities.

The starting point in our documentation is this one: https://support.smartbear.com/zephyr-squad-server/docs/get-started/index.html

It may be the case that a wrongly attempted migration messed up the Test issue type configuration. Maybe try to uninstall the plugin, and make sure the Test issue type is also deleted. Then install the plugin back, and check Zephyr's General Configuration to see if the Issue Type ID linked there will match the Test issue type of your instance.

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 15.06.09.png

Other than that, we may need to have a closer look through support.

yogesh_devi
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2022

Hello - I followed the sequence as written below 

- Uninstall the Zephyr Squad applictaion ,

- Delete all and new migrated test issue types ( basically I deleted all the projects as I had a very large number of test cases) 

( A nuance here is that  Deleteing projects places the project in the "trash" and you got to permantly delete the project from trash  - and delete from trash is NOT synchronous - you need to  keep checking on if the delete is completed )

- Delete the test issue type  -  this can be  done only after  no test issue types left in the JIRA instance.   meaning al test issues are completely Deleted ( moved to trash and then permantly delete from trash as well) .   Any  test cases remaining in trash gives strange errors that can confuse you 

- reinstall the plugin ( this reintroduces the test issue type) 

- now try creating a new issue of type "test"

Then the "test details field shows up ) in the new "test" issue 

HOWEVER  after this I deleted the project that had "test" issues from cloud and then migrated that project from hosted jira once again to get the existing "test" issues . In that case I see just empty test description .  I am logging a test case with support for that now 

Another nuance here is that the "custom fields" added  in test details show up only if cookies are enabled in your browser ... at least that happens in Chrome .. seems to me It is a bug . I am surprised that this use case is way too common for the bug to exist

nevertheless - a HUGE thanks for your help @Luzia Mendes [SmartBear]  much appreciated ..

Luzia Mendes [SmartBear] January 19, 2023

Nice! It may be the case that you just need to run the Zephyr reindexes post-migration. Or that the Test Issue Type ID is still not matching.

Support should be able to help you.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events