Find username of person who closed an issue

Martin Smits February 10, 2021

Hello.

I'm working on a query to find users who closed an issue. Thisfare I haven't been able to do so. What I found in communities is an example with which you can search on a specific name. This is not what I want. The names are unknown.
This is what I have:

project = "Test" and status changed to closed"

How is it possible to get the name of the person who did close an issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

Hi Martin - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

We actually have a post function that assigns the issue to the person who moves the card into the status. So we just look at the assignee. 

However, if you don't do that, you might can get to it by the API, but that's out of my expertise. Maybe someone else can chime in here. But you are not going to be able to do it by JQL in the advanced search. 

Martin Smits February 10, 2021

Hi John. 

Thank you for you reply. It's a pitty i'm not able to do it by JQL. Hopefully someone can help me out. 

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2021

I had a requirement like this in the past and implemented the following - currently we don't know if you are on Server or Cloud - the query we used was on Server, also I am not sure if an App was involved.

sales = this is just the name of a group - I don't think it will work very well from an usage perspective to query all over the userbase, a specific username will be to specific, though - I can understand that.

project = TEST and status CHANGED to "Closed" BY (membersOf("sales"))

Martin Smits February 11, 2021

Thank you Daniel. 
I have the results. Next, I would like to show the name on my dashboard. Do you perhaps know what fieldname I should use?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2021

I am not sure if there is a field actually holding the data - from my understanding the query reads it (in the background, nothing it would tell the user) from history of some kind.
For showing on a dashboard, indeed, data would have to exist in a field - I don't think you can have this without some kind of scripting, but probably others have an idea on this.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2021

Update: a different idea would be to create a custom field like "Closing user" and to add a post function to resolve (or close) transition. There you could execute a "update a field" post function putting the current user to the "Closing user" field.
Doing so you can filter for the field on a dashboard.
I used in an example Jira Automation Suite - it worked very well, it might depend on what you have available. Other Apps are probably good as well.

Like John Funk likes this
Martin Smits February 14, 2021

Hi Daniel. Thank you for the suggestion to create a custom field. I will ask our technical advisors to do so.

Thanks for all your quick replies.

Martin

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer