Filters with dropdown

Nathan Hazout July 13, 2021

I'm comparing Team-managed and Company-managed, trying to see which one is the right fit.  

I think it is very strange how features have been split between the two. It makes me feel like there are no good choice, only bad ones, because of blockers on each side.

Most recent example, filters.

• Team-managed is really simply to filter the board by popular things such as assignee, epic, label, etc. But you can't add anything else.
  • Company-managed is 100% custom, however the user experience is so horrible I don't really see a point of using it.

Most importantly, in company-managed boards, how to I setup a filter that works as a dropdown (or auto-complete)?? Imagine wanting to filter by Assignee ... am I suppose to add a separate filter for each team member?? 
Or filter by Epic - should I create a filter every time I add an epic??
Surely that makes no sense. 

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2021

Indeed TMP and CMP are quite different. In fact I would say they are different products.

TMP has evolved and will continue to evolve bringing new capabilities pretty much daily. With that said, I almost entirely use CMP because I need that flexibility, and TMP wasn't even available when I started. I don't agree that CMP experience is horrible, at least from a user perspective. Administrative aspects can get quite complex for sure but I think that's largely due to the flexibility built-in. Of course that's just my opinion.

Regarding your questions about filters I'm not quite sure I'm following. Where do you want this filter to exist and what behavior are you looking for exactly? Where are you talking about filtering by assignee?

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 17.56.48.png

This is a screenshot from a team-managed board. See the built-in filters are dropdowns. For example Epic-> my epic, or Label->some label.

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 17.57.57.png

And this is the screenshot from the CMP board. I tried to add a custom filter, but as you can see all I can add is a "button" filter, not a dropdown. Meaning the user cannot select a param. 

Please forget the "assignee" example, I just noticed the user icons are actually filters (although I don't know how it looks like when there are 100 users?)

Like Chris Kemp likes this

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 18.02.37.png

This is a screenshot from a TMP board. Notice the filter options are dropdown. I could for example select Epic->some epic to see a specific epic. Same for labels and types.

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 18.03.57.png

This is my CMP board. No built-in filters. I tried adding a custom filter ("Label") however the filter is just a button, not a dropdown. Meaning the user cannot give any input to the filter.

Forget my "assignee" example. I just noticed that the user avatars are assignee filters (right?). However I wonder how it works once the project has 100 users?

Like # people like this
Chris Kemp April 6, 2022

@Nathan Hazout Unsurprisingly, I agree, as my google search for this exact question led me here.  A great shame that an answer has not been provided (I suspect the answer is to make a request to Jira and hope that people will vote for it over the years and centuries, and maybe our great, great descendants can benefit from it)

FYI I would really like to use Components (...not available in Team Managed ....grrr).  As with your requirement, it would seem obvious to have a drop down allowing me to select any Component from the current project, allowing me to filter the issues within the board being viewed.

>>>> Update >>>> yup, requests have been raised (since at least 2015) 

1. JSWSERVER-4735
  2. JSWCLOUD-4735

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events