Filter "Only Tasks and Sub-Tasks" doesn't work for Sub-Tasks

Fernando Paiva May 23, 2017

Hello, I am using the structure "Epic -> Story -> Sub-Task" to manage the development. There are a few Tasks that the team is converting to Sub-Tasks, they will disapear.

So, I went to Backlog screen and clicked on the "Only Tasks and Sub-Tasks" filter. It is showing me only the Tasks!! The Sub-Tasks are not being showed:

backlog.png

The only way to see the Sub-Tasks is through Search screen:

search.png

Is it possible to show the Sub-Tasks on the Backlog screen? There is any configuration that must be made, or field to fill?

Thank you

Fernando

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2017

Subtasks are useless noise on backlogs, as it makes no sense to rank them outside their parent issues.  So the backlog ignores them.

Simple case, imagine you have

• ABC-123
    • ABC-345
    • ABC-789
    • ABC-456
  • ABC-234
    • ABC-567
  • ABC-678

If ABC-123 is ranked higher than ABC-234, then it's more important.  ABC-567 therefore cannot possibly be ranked higher than ABC-123 or any of its subtasks or lower than ABC-678.  Because their sub-tasks are part of them, and you've ranked them as higher or lower already.  So it's pointless seeing it in the backlog.

(There is some argument for seeing them so you could re-rank them inside their parent issues, but you should really do that within the parent, it's not really of any use in Scrum planning or grooming)

Fernando Paiva May 23, 2017

So if it makes no sense to show Sub-Tasks on the Backlog, why there is a filter named "Only Tasks AND SUB-TASKS"?

Vincent Lyon May 24, 2017

Hi Fernando,

Actually, the default quick filters are "Only my issues" and "Recently updated".

So the filter "Only tasks and sub-tasks" was created by someone who has admin rights on your board.

Regards,

Vincent

Fernando Paiva May 24, 2017

Thank you!

Suggest an answer