Filter on Sub-Tasks Related to a Task

Ryan Hinz December 19, 2017

Is there a way to use JQL to filter on Tasks and related sub-tasks?  I want to be able to include sub-tasks that are related to specific tasks.  Based on the queries I have looked at I am either including sub-tasks but not the main task OR the main task is included but I am missing sub-tasks in the filter.  This is mainly to feed into BigPicture resource planning tool, but I can't seem to get the query right.

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2017

There are ways of doing this but determining the best method for you requires more info. Such as, is this an occasional thing you want to do or frequent? How much effort are you willing to put into it? etc.

Let me provide my thoughts and see where it gets us but let me first state that the cleanest way is to use something like Scriptrunner's "issuefunction".

1) you could simply use a JQL like this - project = ABC and issuetype in (task, sub-task). Adding further qualifiers, e.g. status.

2) you could add a label to the tasks and sub-tasks resulting in a JQL like this - labels = stuff.

3) more obscure solution, but may work depending on your needs, is to create a kanban board with a single column and use the filter in #1. this will give you a view w/ sub-tasks grouped under the parent task.

Suggest an answer