Filter kanban board by epic status

Jaime Salazar September 5, 2022

Hello,

For my team-managed project, I'm trying to filter out tasks in the kanban board, which is grouped by Epic, where the associated epic status is Done. For example, neither this epic nor the tasks under it should show up, even if the epic contains tasks in To Do:

Picture1.png

I've tried many of solutions online without any luck. I can filter out tasks based on the task itself with status!="Done", and separtely with statusCategory!=Done. But "Epic Status"!="Done" filters everything out (empty board).

FWIW I've tested with "Epic Status" IS EMPTY and separately with "Epic Link" IS EMPTY and in both cases all my epics and tasks show up. This suggests that the tasks are not properly linked up to their parent epics even though they are created within each epic?

Also, statusCategory="Done" results in an empty board. Same as issuetype = Epic.

Here is the board config:

Picture2.png

Here is the issues config:Picture3.png

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2022

Hi Jaime - Team-managed projects are very limited, and you will not be able to do the query that you are looking for. 

Jaime Salazar September 9, 2022

Hi John,

I've actually set up a workaround that appears to work so far. It feels like a Jira shortcoming that it couldn't just do it out-of-the-box, but whatever, for anybody wondering how to do this, this is how I did it:

First, I added a dropdown field to the Task issue called HideFromBoard (FWIW I also added it to Subtask). This field should be a Yes or a No (by default it should be a "No", but watch out for the "None" value).

Then, I created an automation rule that checks if it's an Epic and if the status field is Done (or Unlisted also in my case). If so, look at the Epic's subtasks and set HideFromBoard = Yes:

rule.PNG

(In reality I've also created the inverse rule where if the epic's status is not Done or Unlisted, HideFromBoard becomes "No".)

Finally, I've created a custom filter for my board to hide anything where HideFromBoard = Yes. (Again, for convenience I've also created a filter for when HideFromBoard = No).

All of this seems to produce what I wanted. But I'm wondering why Jira, or at least team-managed projects, don't have this functionality out of the box..

I'll select your answer as the solution just to highlight my reply.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2022

Glad you got something working. Where did you add the custom filter to the Team-managed board? 

Jaime Salazar September 12, 2022

On the board itself, clicking on Custom filters > Manage custom filters

dropdown.PNG

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS