Filter for comments on closed tickets

Dan Rushing October 28, 2021

We need a filter to show comments on closed tickets. This would be comments from external customers who find old email notifications and email in with additional questions. 

2 answers

0 votes
Andy March 12, 2022

Hi Dan,

I have the exact same scenario.  Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks, Andy

Dan Rushing March 14, 2022

Hi Andy, we did not use anything from the market place. Instead our admin was able to create a notification that is sent to our team when a email comes in on a closed ticket. 

Like Andy likes this
Andy March 14, 2022

Hi Dan,

Thanks for sharing.  I did something similar as it happens and used the MS Teams webhook to post a comment to a Teams channel.

Andy

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2021

Hello @Dan Rushing 

Welcome to the community.

You mentioned comments from external customers. Are you working with a Jira Service Management project or a Jira Software project? 

What exactly do you mean by "filter to show comments"? The output of the search filters is a list of issues, and in the UI at least the output doesn't include showing the comments on the issues.

Are you first trying to identify the issues where customers have added comments after an issue has been closed?

What problem are you trying to solve by getting this info? What are you needing to do with the information?

Dan Rushing October 29, 2021

Hi @Trudy Claspill , thanks for the reply. 

I am working with Jira Service Management. 

Yes, we are trying to identify issues where one of our external customers has sent a email (comment) on a closed ticket. 

I was hoping I could find a way with JQL to find comments from a external customer, on a closed ticket. Then, setup a subscription when one is identified. 

Thanks, 

Dan

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2021

It doesn't appear that Jira Server natively supports a JQL keyword for distinguishing between customer comments and comments by non-customers, nor internal-only vs. public comments.

There are several third party apps available in the Marketplace to extend the JQL functionality. I have not reviewed them all, but you may find one that would enable you to construct the query you need to at least identify closed Service Desk issues where a customer has added a comment after the issue was closed. I don't think you'll be able to get the comments themselves included in the query output, though.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=server&product=jira-service-management&query=search

Nishant Rohilla October 13, 2023

Can someone help understand why a simple query where incident resolved date greater than update will not work in Jira Service Management. 

I am trying to find any incident which were updated after the resolution date or closure date.  Later will try to examine how many were updated because of any comment or because of any other reason. 

Nishant Rohilla October 13, 2023

For instance :  resolved < updatedDate order by created DESC

It is giving error :

Date value 'updatedDate' for field 'resolved' is invalid. Valid formats include: 'yyyy/MM/dd HH:mm', 'yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm', 'yyyy/MM/dd', 'yyyy-MM-dd', or a period format e.g. '-5d', '4w 2d'.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2023

Hi @Nishant Rohilla 

JQL is not a SQL, and so does not have many such features.

What that error is describing is the left-side expression must be a field and the right-side must be a value (and/or a built-in function of JQL).

You are trying to compare two fields within the issue.  Work-arounds for that need depend upon your frequency of need and willingness to spend money:

• Need infrequently: export the values to a spreadsheet and perform the comparison there
  • Need often and willing/able to spend money: investigate the Atlassian Marketplace for addons to JQL
  • Need often and unwilling/unable to spend money: investigate your scenario to decide of creating an automation rule could help

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Trudy Claspill likes this

Suggest an answer